Very slow walking

LoisJean

Jan 11, 2016
Northeast Lower Michigan, USA
On a lighter note, when we bought the shoes in Hotter we had a slight altercation over the size. She has always been a 4 but said they felt a bit big, I said they seemed fine (many years experience of checking my 3 kids shoes for size!). They were lace ups, so just do them up tight and perhaps wear socks instead of tights. She insisted on trying the 3 which I said looked too tight but she started to get a bit loud so I gave in and bought the size 3s. (Sorry this is going on a bit!)

Hi, Carrie(boo).. I have vascular dementia and I must admit to you that I had a bit of a chuckle after reading about your mom and her shoe size. Same thing with me.

Sometimes I put a pair of shoes on and honestly, I am swimming in them. I look at them, take them off, put them back on and still too big. I add thick socks and sure enough the shoes are too tight. Now I'm really confused and angry because I HAVE TO WEAR SHOES AND ITS GOT TO BE THOSE D**N SHOES AND WHATS WRONG WITH MY FEET AND WHO STOLE MY SHOES AND LEFT THESE???!!! I live alone so have no one to blame except a home invader. Or the cat.

I could go on and on about what my brain is telling me. After I whirl for awhile, I toss the shoes aside and get busy doing something else and completely forget about my shoe problem...until the next time when I put that same pair on, find they fit just fine and have the instant recall that just yesterday they were too big. This happens with just about every thing I wear...(including underwear), not all the time, but enough times to let me know that it's only my wacky brain trying to process the simple act of dressing...and for some reason, it backfires. I now understand why the tendency to put clothes on backwards. No doubt that will come soon enough for me..hopefully there will be someone around to provide a switcheroo before I go out in public :p

I'm grateful that I can still recall these events later and write them down. I'm also very glad when I read of someone else who experiences this, too. Keeps me from feeling like I'm the only one. I know this isn't easy for you and I can truly appreciate your frustrations..please don't think me flippant. But I can personally relate in some ways to your mum, too.. And I believe that deeply down inside of herself she knows the problem is with her..not you. Her brain simply will not allow her mind to express that to you.

Peace and that in abundance to us all..LoisJean

carrieboo

Feb 1, 2016
herts uk
Hi, Carrie(boo).. I have vascular dementia and I must admit to you that I had a bit of a chuckle after reading about your mom and her shoe size. Same thing with me.

Sometimes I put a pair of shoes on and honestly, I am swimming in them. I look at them, take them off, put them back on and still too big. I add thick socks and sure enough the shoes are too tight. Now I'm really confused and angry because I HAVE TO WEAR SHOES AND ITS GOT TO BE THOSE D**N SHOES AND WHATS WRONG WITH MY FEET AND WHO STOLE MY SHOES AND LEFT THESE???!!! I live alone so have no one to blame except a home invader. Or the cat.

I could go on and on about what my brain is telling me. After I whirl for awhile, I toss the shoes aside and get busy doing something else and completely forget about my shoe problem...until the next time when I put that same pair on, find they fit just fine and have the instant recall that just yesterday they were too big. This happens with just about every thing I wear...(including underwear), not all the time, but enough times to let me know that it's only my wacky brain trying to process the simple act of dressing...and for some reason, it backfires. I now understand why the tendency to put clothes on backwards. No doubt that will come soon enough for me..hopefully there will be someone around to provide a switcheroo before I go out in public :p

I'm grateful that I can still recall these events later and write them down. I'm also very glad when I read of someone else who experiences this, too. Keeps me from feeling like I'm the only one. I know this isn't easy for you and I can truly appreciate your frustrations..please don't think me flippant. But I can personally relate in some ways to your mum, too.. And I believe that deeply down inside of herself she knows the problem is with her..not you. Her brain simply will not allow her mind to express that to you.

Peace and that in abundance to us all..LoisJean

Thank you LoisJean, your post is so helpful to me. I know that Mum doesn't mean to be awkward, and I shouldn't take it personally. Reading your experience has given me a real insight, and made me smile. I hope your positive attitude continues to help you negotiate this awful illness.

Sending you lots of good wishes...

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, thats very helpful LoisJean.
If mum does that to me I now know that the thing to do is say Yes, yes, of course I will buy the smaller ones - but then buy (without telling her) the ones that I know are going to fit her ;). That way we wont get into arguments and she will have shoes that fit!

carrieboo

Feb 1, 2016
herts uk
Yes, thats very helpful LoisJean.
If mum does that to me I now know that the thing to do is say Yes, yes, of course I will buy the smaller ones - but then buy (without telling her) the ones that I know are going to fit her ;). That way we wont get into arguments and she will have shoes that fit!

Good advice Canary! The problem is that mum can have days where she's completely 'with it' and other days when she struggles, it's so hard to try and work out what to do for the best and when she's insistent, she's VERY INSISTENT, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I think I may try and find a way to exchange the shoes, she hasn't worn them and I think Hotter are pretty good about exchanges. Just need to find the receipt...:rolleyes:

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
My dad always walks ust behind me so I now link arms with him so we can walk together.

That's what I did Arjay. Sue hasn't walked for almost a year but before that we got out regularly. We managed at least 5 miles a week right up to the time when she had her first fit and lost her mobility. A good few years ago I had to start linking arms. If I didn't she would just walk slower and slower about a metre behind me.:( If I slowed down for her to catch up she slowed down even more.

Towards the end of the 'walking era' she had slowed right down, even when linked into my arm.

But, of course, I would happily go back to that time if it was possible.

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
My dad always walks ust behind me so I now link arms with him so we can walk together.

Exact.
On days she doesn't want it. I used to hold her hand for walking.

I used some physical link that reassured me she wasn't wandering away. (Just like going to mall with toddler.) And it reassured her I was with her

Azure9

Jan 13, 2017
Singapore
My father walks very slow as well. He always feel painful and weak in his right legs. And it's because of diabetic neuropathy. Hence, he spends most of day time sitting on his chair and reading books. Of course, I took him to see doctor. But there's not been any positive signs until now.
Anyone here had experiences about some natural treatments for neuropathy? Lavender or soy does work? https://authorityremedies.com/home-remedies-for-neuropathy/

jen54

May 20, 2014
I wonder if there is generally a fear of falling, or eye sight being worse, my mum started walking as if she was walking down an aisle at the cinema, even though she swore nothing hurt. now she goes really slow as her hip slips,and she fears her leg will give way so she shuffles more than walks, as she says she is scared her balance will go, sadly she wont use a stick. her eyes aren't so good..not that she will admit that..I know when I take my glasses off I walk slowely and warily,as the ground is not clear and I cannot gauge my footing will be safe.