Very new to this

Toby photos

Hi
I am very new to all this dementia and have been suspecting this with my mother for some years now, but have only just had her formally diagnosed, and has Altzymers + vascular dementia.
we have been given a drug called Donepezil but don't know if this will make any difference.

Having read lots of things about this condition, at times I find it very distressing and other times I don't have a problem.

well that me just briefly as I don't really know what else to say. maybe I will be able to join in with other discussions / conversations as time goes on , or maybe offer some help to others in roundabout way without me knowing. who knows?? :cool:

oldfella

Hi Toby, welcome to TP, my wife has just been taken off Donepezil after 5 years, it seemed to help until recently when she become very agitated and started lashing out for no apparent reason. Since coming off the medication about 1 month ago she has calmed down, I still get the odd moments of aggression but not as often as before.
I'm sure as time goes on you will find talking point of great help and you will undoubtedly give help to others as we all experience similar but very different situations.
Keep smiling and remember you are not alone in coping with this hideous illness.

sunset 11

Hi Toby, MY husband has been on Donezepil for 5 yrs now and finding it fine, he also takes Citalopram which is a mild anti depressant which keeps him calm.
He's had alzheimers 5yrs now, he is slowly getting worse with things ie dressing doing silly things and saying words that don't make sense.
But we carry on as best we can, I'm his soul carer, we get out and about as much as we can, we have joined the local memory café and singing for the brain which we both enjoy. good luck for the future and were all here to help

Pepper&Spice

Hi Toby welcome to Talking Point. Think you will find this forum invaluable for help, advice and support - especially through the tough times ahead :) I too read a lot around the subject of dementia as my mum has VasD as well but nothing really prepares you for the reality which can be very hard. A couple of things to think about - have you got POA finance & health for mum ? If not get it sorted as it will make life much easier further down the line. Also get mum to sign a consent form at the docs so you can deal with meds and get info from the professionals. Try not to worry too much as things develop and make sure you get all the help mum needs, shout loudly as Social Services etc as they can be a little hard of hearing :D
If you're having a bad day with mum come and let off steam here - we all understand what a horrible cruel disease it is and sometimes you just need to vent ;)
Take care & good luck with the journey ahead.