Very late stages and anger returning

Timeout

Feb 10, 2012
Mum has had Alz for over 10 years now, been bed / chair bound for 2-3 years and can only speak a few words. She doesnt know who any of us are, has no awareness of her surroundings etc. Eats a softened diet well though.

She was released from hospital at the end of 2015 on 'end of life' care meaning all her medications (alz drugs, anti psychotics, blood pressure meds) were withdrawn. She improved quite a bit after the drugs were removed and became more alert and awake.

For months she's been happy and pleasant, co-operative and fairly compliant but we've started noticing changes. Lately she's been tearful, quite angry at times and will not engage when we visit. The tears are becoming more and more frequent instead of the smiles and I'm starting to get a bit concerned about her general happiness. We always left from visiting thinking she was happy and settled but not so much lately.

I knew that difficult behaviour was a marker of the middle stages but we thought we'd passed through that stage.

Has anyone else encountered a decline in their loved ones behaviour and demeanour in the very late stages? Is this to be expected or should we start asking the CH if they think anti depressants are worth using again?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi Timeout
I too agree, have your mum's GP check her over - may also be that she's having low level discomfort (not pain exactly) so consider regular paracetamol as well
best wishes

Timeout

Feb 10, 2012
Thanks all, I hadn't considered a UTI or pain to be honest, I was thinking more along the lines of her perhaps having flashes of awareness at her situation. It could very well be pain or infection though I guess, she's immobile, doubly incontinent and cannot express her needs at all. She was shouting out this morning and visibly angry, something she never normally does.
I have called the CH back and they said they will contact the GP with the intention of a CPN referral if the GP feels the need. I'll also mention pain or infection, thanks for flagging these up.