Very Bad year

Sallyanne59

Mar 31, 2013
Lingfield
Following my diagnosis of Alzheimer's earlier this year along with AS, on Tuesday I was told my hips are in a very bad state and both need replacing, :eek:1st one being done in August and other one as soon as they can after !!! Trying to sort out aides etc, told to ring social services and they told me they would do an assessment of my needs over the telephone in two weeks::(.......what sort of service is this and how will they know what I need. My first thoughts were for other sufferers who may be further down this journey, on their own like me, does this seem right??

Need sum advise on hiring equipment please!:confused:

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I sympathise Sallyanne. You'll find many posts on here bemoaning the extreme difficulty people have had in getting the help they need and are entitled to.

You're right to about the others you mention, further down the road and alone. Sadly there are also isolated couples who are struggling to get help.

It's easy to blame social workers and judging by what we read on here they often deserve it. However we also need to remember that the austerity imposed on local authorities has in many places led to drastic reductions in the number of social workers employed.

First I'd advise you to keep a record of all the contacts with SS and others as you seek help.

Secondly, try to get others to help. You could try your local Alzheimer's Society or Citizens Advice for starters. Also, whoever has been diagnosing/treating you should have some ideas.

I hope others will be along with suggestions and support.

Take care

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
I think you should ask for a home visit from an Occupational Therapist, my son had major surgery on both his legs in one go (mistake but hindsight is a clever tool) and we were visited by the hospital Occupational Therapist, I think after surgery it comes under their remit.

She asked me what we would need and I didn't have a clue.:confused:

But think of each activity and what you will need..... toileting, bathing, walking, cooking, ask the carers for their input, they will know what is required.

Good luck with the op and I hope you have a pain free and more mobile future.

Don't forget you will need Physiotherapy too, my son swam in a hydrotherapy pool for a number of months it was very helpful, gentle, warm, directed therapy.
Best wishes X

p.s ask social services for a care co-ordinator to help you have a care plan put in place and to support you during appointments.

Last edited:

Sallyanne59

Mar 31, 2013
Lingfield
Thank you for your kind replies . I have to be honest and admit to being totally confused as to who I should be getting help from . I am going to ring my dementia support officer on Monday , but one of my problems is a recent move to new county to be near daughter along with changing doctors etc all so confusing :-((

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app