Verbal Outburst!

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
I’d had a long gruelling few days leading up to Sunday making all the bakery snacks for the 100 guests that would be attending my stepdaughter’s traditional Indonesian prayer ceremony to mark her ‘Seventh month of pregnancy’ but I was feeling in high spirits as all the products had turned out OK ‘and’ without any mishaps or to much confusion in my mind, whilst I had been doing this my dear wife Sumi along with eight other friends and family were busy preparing all the meals to feed the guests.
Then from the early hours of Sunday morning the house was a hive of activity getting everything ready for the ceremony that would take place at 6-30pm… all the family were excitedly talking at the same time with lots of deafening laughter and the children getting extremely exuberant in their own way, but I was managing to cope with all the upheaval and excessive noise rattling through my brain, (well that is up until three o’clock in the afternoon)

I had just gone into the bedroom to take a short rest as ‘Sundowning’ was starting to get the better of me and I wanted to be ready for the evening activities… when an Indonesian friend of mine arrived with two other people, (I should point out that this is the only Indonesian friend I have left as all the other so called friends who are educated people had quickly departed once I’d told and explained to them about my Alzheimer’s and dementia, to their minds I have a contagious illness) anyway not wanting to appear impolite to my friend and visitors (a lady and gentleman) I went and invited them into the house, then after a few minutes of congenial conversation the lady turned to me and said “You Not Remember Me” I apologetically said ‘Sorry NO’ and explained about my Alzheimer’s… she said “that’s why we come see you” I have traditional medication can cure you!! I must admit that the first thought that popped into my head was (Oh no, not another magical Indonesian cure for illnesses) don’t get me wrong as I’m open minded about traditional or herbal medications ‘but’ as a supplement to my prescribed medications and I must confess that I do drink such a medication as it helps in controlling my ‘Diabetes and Cholesterol’
She then produced a packet that contained, dried leafs, roots, wood bark, and herbs, that you boil into an elixir to drink everyday and again said this ‘Cure’ your problem!

I took the packet from her and scrutinized the wording on the label and quickly realized from the list that this product truly was supposed to be a ‘Magical Cure’ for every ailment under the sun! I said to her ‘Oh I see from the list that this is also good for Parkinson’s disease’ she replied “YES, YES” my friend ‘Cured shaking’ by drinking this “and again said “This cure you problem” I asked her (Do you understand about Alzheimer’s and Dementia) again a reply of “YES, YES” so I asked her to explain the effects of Alzheimer’s and Dementia to me… she said “You just forget things!!” I said OK and what else??? But she had know idea of what to reply… and yet again said “This cure you” by this time my hackles were starting to rise, so I explained to her as calmly as I could and even showed her an Indonesian medical journal stating quiet clearly that as yet Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s or any other type of Dementia is still incurable… but she still insisted that her traditional medication could cure me!! I could feel myself becoming more and more agitated and apparently the tone of my voice started increasing like a crescendo, so I asked her if the product had been registered and thus approved by the Indonesian government health department, she replied “NO’ so I asked if it had been approved by the ‘FDA’ she said “What is FDA” and it’s at this point in our conversation that without warning my Alzheimer’s suddenly took control of my being and words, as from what my dear wife Sumi has since told me I became extremely, extremely verbal, shouting “There is no cure” “YET” how can you try to sell me a product when you don’t understand anything about the illness… I was in such an emotional state of mind that Sumi came rushing into the sitting room and had to grab hold of me asking (What’s wrong, What’s wrong…) as I was losing my sense of balance, I was waving my arms in the air, twisting in circles holding my head in my hands shouting out in a slurred stuttering voice “Look what you have done to me, Look what you have done to me…” this is another effect of Alzheimer’s, that you do not understand… the room feel into an utter silence as they sat with their mouths aghast not knowing what to say as Sumi took me back to the bedroom and gave me a calming tablet to calm down and then went back to the two visitors saying “I think it’s better you go” as you’ve made my husband incredibly distressed by your none awareness…

After about ten minutes I become more relaxed and went back to sit with my Indonesian friend… who frantically apologized for bringing visitors to our house unannounced, and he even admitted that he’d never realized just how devastating this illness can be as in all the years we have known each other never once has he seen me in this way…

As for a ‘Cure’ for our illness… well I’m sure that before long ‘A Cure’ will be found and maybe that cure is somewhere within the deepest jungles or the oceans deep… whether that’s to be within my lifetime is in the hands of God, but a ‘Cure’ must be found to prevent millions of other people and their families around the world having to unwillingly take this terrible fraught pathway…

Fortunately by 6-30pm I was far more relaxed and able to join in with the religious ceremony…

Barry

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Barry,

Well I read through your summary of yesterday's events and felt that I was living through it with you. There are so many points and feelings involved. First of all many congratulations for having produced all the bakery snacks. This, in itself, is quite a task for anyone to undertake.

It seems you were somehow able to manage with all the hustle and bustle of an exciting event and knew how to monitor and manage yourself especially when you felt sundowning approaching.

As for the person with the potion:eek: Thank goodness this person was evicted and that calm was soon restored. I was so pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy the prayer ceremony after a rest and recovery period. I was particularly pleased that the friend that brought these people into your home remained. That took some strength of character I felt as he could have felt responsible for the disorder. He sounds like a true friend Barry.

Love

shelagh

Sep 28, 2009
Staffordshire
Hello Barry, What a day you had! You did so well and the outburst must have felt so much worsse because of the achievement.
It's part of the roller coaster effect of this disease isn't it. One minute struggling up a steep slope and making it to the top the next plunging to the bottom in a terrifying free fall.
With love from a fellow traveller.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Barry
Im glad everything went well for the Prayer ceremony.

Im amazed at how well you coped with them two with the so called cure all remedy,

I assure you my outburst would have been much worse , if they had come to my mum promising this will cure you.

I know it must have upset you greatly probably still does

I think they got less than they deserved

they are Preying on vulnerable people, some who will clutch at any straw to get better and end up spending money they can ill afford on quack medicine.

Im sorry this happened to you.

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
wow Barry well done to do all that baking in the first place I am going to try and make some cupcakes today! and i feel phased by that!
People just dont get it do they:eek::eek::eek: oh well I'm sure they meant well but they wont try it again will they!
Much Grace
Sarah

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi to you all and very many thanks for the positive vibes, Helen your quiet right the one Indonesian friend I have left is a true friend and yes unfortunately he did feel responsible for causing the problem but I was able to explain to him and put his mind at ease… I think in some ways it’s also made him understand a bit more about dementia and how it affects people…

scarletpauline

Jul 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Dear Barry I am sorry you had to go through this, what a horrible experience. What a blessing you have your dear Sumi to help you and that peace was restored so that you could enjoy the religious ceremony. Love Pauline xxx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shy