(VascularD) they dont conceive they have it

manArgentina

Aug 10, 2019
Mendoza, Argentina
Only for people who have as carers of someone with Vascular Dementia for more than 4 years (not Alzheimers).

I have my mother with vascular dementia,, she is not lost, but her personality is a bit different, she have memory loss, etc. Compulsive hoarding. Obsessive. Talkative.

She doesnt conceive she have this problem. Just recently she has been telling me she "forget where she put things", that at some point that is good, because she cant see that she is forgetting things ! Better than forget things and doesnt notice that.

I always known her personality problems and etc are due her stroke, but its something I never talked with her, because... why bother ? You cant say "you have cognitive problems due that stroke", just yesterday she talked about the memory problems and i say to her "well.... its the stroke... aftermath", and she told me "no... that was 10 years ago, this should be because the stress and the fibromialgia".

She is inlove with fibromialgia lately, she feels tired, because she need to make more exersice, but a better thing is to say she have fibromialgia, which she doesnt have a formal diagnosis, she just heard about it and asked to her doctor and the doctor said "yes, that happens".

She has been with this more than 10 years.

The problem is that she doesnt practice her brain more.

Anyway, just wanting to see others who care for one who just doesnt realize they have this problems, and "deal" with having to "keep in secret" this from them. I mean, we knowing this and dont talking with them about this, and talking with them as they dont have any problem, its like keep a secret from them, something we know and they dont realize.

---

Some months ago she went for general analysis, and the Dr told her to draw a clock at 8:45am, and she couldnt, she sometimes can or not read the hour, but just think about draw, a clock, that just confuses her.

At some point the Dr asked her "do you... hear voices ?", and my mother was like "what she have wrong, how can she ask me this ?".

She cant pick the right glass for her glasses either, she get nerveous when she goes to the ophtalmologist, she "cant see" the letters, she pick too big (magnification) glasses.

And she thinks all this is normal.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My mum had noidea that she had dementia - although she would acknowledge that her memory "wasnt what it was", but she put this down to old age..
As time went on she understood less and less what was wrong with her and denied having any problems at all - despite having heart problems, atrial fibrillation, arthritis, and glaucoma as well as the Alzheimers. I remember her telling me that she kept herself very fit by running up and down the stairs, when in reality she could barely shuffle a few feet with the help of a frame - and the frame was positioned right in front of her.

This inability to understand that there are things wrong with them is itself a symptom of dementia and if they have this you will never convince them that they have dementia. At the beginning I tried to explain to mum that she had Alzheimers, but it just made her very angry, because (according to her) all that was wrong was that she was nearly 90 and her memory wasnt so good :eek:. After that I just referred to her "memory problem". Its not so much that I was keeping it secret from her, its that she was unable to understand it. I found that as I went on there were more and more things that I couldnt talk about because she could not understand them.

PS
The problem is that she doesnt practice her brain more.
Practising or using her brain more wont make any difference Im afraid and trying to get her to do things that she is no longer able to do will just leave her angry and you frustrated.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
My partner has vascular dementia, which was diagnosed a year after a stroke. She wil accept that the stroke had a bearing on her problems, but trying to discuss anything beyond that is too hard for her to deal with. The very word dementia to her is too scary to think about, so if your mum is in denial it's probably best to leave it.