Vascular dementia

luc

Dec 18, 2011
Bridgend south wales
Nursed mam for 9 years with Alzheimer’s, within a month of loosing her, my hubby was diagnosed with vascular ( approx 5 yrs ago) really struggling at current time

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Sorry to hear that you are struggling @luc. Is there anything in particular that is difficult at the moment?
My mum has vascular dementia and I certainly found trying to adjust to the person she was becoming very difficult in the early stages.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husband has had vascular dementia for 4 years now diagnosed 3 years ago. that must be hard that you looked after your mum only to find that your husband has it. must feel like a double whammy. he seems to have the skill one day then lost the next day.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m so sorry to hear that @luc

Please use the forum to ask anything or just to share how you feel. I know you will get so much support here.

luc

Dec 18, 2011
Bridgend south wales
I’m so sorry to hear that @luc

Please use the forum to ask anything or just to share how you feel. I know you will get so much support here.
Thank you 😊
my husband has had vascular dementia for 4 years now diagnosed 3 years ago. that must be hard that you looked after your mum only to find that your husband has it. must feel like a double whammy. he seems to have the skill one day then lost the next day.
I think I thought “well at least I know what’s coming, obv very wrong, feel like I lose a bit more of him each day,they say vascular happens in steps? Well I think he has just gone down another step and it’s a hard 1 to watch, skills lost overnight sounds so familiar.

luc

Dec 18, 2011
Bridgend south wales
Sorry to hear that you are struggling @luc. Is there anything in particular that is difficult at the moment?
My mum has vascular dementia and I certainly found trying to adjust to the person she was becoming very difficult in the early stages.
Just generally loosing a bit more of him each day and so so argumentative 😞

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Thank you 😊

I think I thought “well at least I know what’s coming, obv very wrong, feel like I lose a bit more of him each day,they say vascular happens in steps? Well I think he has just gone down another step and it’s a hard 1 to watch, skills lost overnight sounds so familiar.
yes it does go down in steps then plateaus then goes down another step. mine is gradually losing how you use a remote control for tv. apparently it doesnt do what he wants it to.

JaxG

May 15, 2021
I am so sorry @luc , so hard to nurse you mum, to then lose your husband to the disease. My husband has mixed Alzheimer's/vascular dementia, diagnosed 3 years ago. The last few months he has deteriorated a lot but I have really struggled with his behaviour. The aggression and wanting to argue every point is exhausting. xx

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
You have such a lot to deal with @luc, having nursed your mother for 9 years and then more or less moving straight into caring for your husband. I just wanted to say that we are here whenever you need support or just to chat.

Alison61

Apr 7, 2023
My husband was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer’s just before Christmas. It’s just so sad as he’s lost all self confidence and just seems like a lost soul. His father had vascular dementia and he sees himself going the same way 🤦‍♀️
I feel as though we’ve been robbed of our future together.
My husband relies on me for just about everything and that, in turn, makes me feel overwhelmed with worry.
This isn’t how I thought our lives would be…it’s beyond cruel

luc

Dec 18, 2011
Bridgend south wales
You have such a lot to deal with @luc, having nursed your mother for 9 years and then more or less moving straight into caring for your husband. I just wanted to say that we are here whenever you need support or just to chat.
Thankyou 😊
I am so sorry @luc , so hard to nurse you mum, to then lose your husband to the disease. My husband has mixed Alzheimer's/vascular dementia, diagnosed 3 years ago. The last few months he has deteriorated a lot but I have really struggled with his behaviour. The aggression and wanting to argue every point is exhausting. xx
thank you for responding, I do try and stay positive but today is just one of those hard ones, will start with a new day tomorrow 😊

luc

Dec 18, 2011
Bridgend south wales
Thank you 😊

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Alison61 - I am so sorry to hear of your situation. My husband had early onset dementia too - he was 58 when he got diagnosed. Unlike yourself and @luc, neither my family nor my husband's had had any experience of dementia until his diagnosis.

In many ways that was a blessing for us because we had no real preconceptions about what might happen - I think my husband would have found things quite daunting if he'd had that kind of prior knowledge or experience.

This forum helped me prepare for the nitty gritty of what might happen and put strategies in place ahead of time, but my husband didn't want to know more than he already knew.

I found that it helped a great deal when I eventually started a thread of my own - that way support became more easily targeted to what I/we were facing at any given time.

When you are ready it might help to start a new thread of your own under

Do keep posting, there are many here who understand what it is to have a partner diagnosed, particularly at a younger age.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janet1980