Vascular dementia

knine

Jan 24, 2019
My husband was taken into hospital last December with a chest infection. I was told he has vascular dementia on the 11th January.he is now ready to come home.I have decided that I have to try and look after him even though my family feel it would better to put him into a care home.he can't be left on his own.how do others cope with this wicked illness.I'm heart broken

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I don’t think and member can say it’s easy but somehow we manage. My husband was like my shadow, there was nowhere to escape for me. He slept very little and so we were literally joined at the hip all day, everyday.

I tried to find things for him to do, it didn’t work for me but it might for you.

Have you had a care assessment carried out for your husband? Once done you would know what care he needs and what help you can get towards that care. You too should have an assessment as his Carer to see what help there is to make your life a little easier.

Hopefully more members will be along in the morning with some ideas and advice for you. You won’t ever be alone on the forum, we are all here to help and support and pass on hints and tips that have worked for us.

vannesser

Apr 4, 2016
My ho as vascular dementia to know 3 year he to can not be left alone and has as been in hospital at beginning of year with chest infecshion and just got over a n

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I am sorry, you must be in shock.
I have just adjusted to a new life, we are together 24/7 but we still enjoy life together. Every one Is different, sometimes people manage, sometimes the illness means it is impossible. Each case is different, we all have different tolerances, the illness has different problems of behaviour.
Care homes have their own problems, nothing is without a challenge.
Take care of yourself, do not rush into decisions, get the Assessments and see what your area offers.
Our area has very little so I find being at home has advantages at the moment.

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
Hi, I am so sorry to hear about your husband. I know that it is so hard for carers and the change in your life, for you and your husband. If you go forward with caring for him at home, remember to accept help. Even the smallest things will make a difference. My dad (83) is my mums carer and i am finding it so hard for him to accept help and now i can see it taking a toll on him. You need to stay well and strong! Thinking of you, x