Vascular dementia journey with my dad

cynthiahooks72

May 30, 2024
I never really knew what dementia was until my dad was diagnosed. It has been quite a long journey. It all came out when he had a TIA and Drs did an MRI of his head. 3 yrs later it's all been downhill. He has just started declining really fast. He got constipated spent a couple days in the hospital and now can barely walk sleeps all the time and can't use the bathroom on his own. I can't help but think the end is near. My dad isn't at all the dad I used to know. He always worked or stayed outside working on something. My dad is a Vietnam army vet. He has stayed so strong threw this journey.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @cynthiahooks72 and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum although sorry that you find yourself here. Constipation can be really difficult to manage in someone with dementia, and as you are experiencing with your dad it can also cause a number of issues such as increased confusion and mobility problems. I see that you have received a helpful response to your other message in the thread about toileting issues, and another issue that can arise with constipation is 'overflow' where diarrhoea can occur due to a build up of poo caused by constipation. I'm not too sure how the medical system works in the USA but as mentioned by @canary in their response to you in the other thread I would agree that it is a good idea to speak to a doctor so that they can help with this issue as it must be distressing for both you and your dad.