Vascular Dementia Diagnosis

kazlou

Feb 3, 2006
Surrey
Hi
Mum had her assessment today and has been diagnosed with vascular dementia, I am not too sure how much she understood what the consultant said but by the time she got home she had forgotton where she had been.
Can anyone her give me any insight into how this type of dementia progresses, and any advice and info on the subject.
I know that we would like her to remain independant for as long as possible as she has a fear of Nursing Homes, as my father was in one for 3months after suffering an acute stroke, it was a lovely home and the staff were great, but she hated going there to see Dad.
Thanks ...................

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi kazlou,
sorry to hear your news, but actually, it is a good thing to have a definite diagnosis.
kazlou said:
how this type of dementia progresses
dementia generally progresses at different rates according to age, medical history happenstance, etc. and of course, the type of dementia, medication used, etc.

vascular dementia differs a little in that there are mini strokes that advance the condition. so the progression is dependent, to a degree, on how often strokes occur, and how much they affect brain function.

often doctors initially diagnose one kind of dementia, then say that there are a couple of types of dementia involved - my wife, for example, has vascular dementia and Alzheimer's.

this tends to cause even more uncertainty on the development of the overall condition.

I'd simply recommend Norman's advice - take things a day at a time. Expect nothing to change, but be prepared for change, enjoy the moments that are good, await more good moments when things are less good.

vascular dementia tends to move in downward steps - a stroke causes a deterioration and then the person stays at the level until the next stroke. But sometimes they can appear to improve immediately after a mini stroke, as the body throws every resource in, to try to repair the damage. mostly this is effective for a short time only.

You will find a variety of posts on TP about vascular dementia, and I hope these may be helpful.

The above is simply my interpretation, not gospel!

kazlou

Feb 3, 2006
Surrey
Thanks Brucie,
I intend to make the most of my time with Mum whilst, she is still relativley good,
it is good to have a diagnosis, and like your wife the consultant did say she had possibly AD as well. I feel very sad as I only lost my father 10 months ago after having an acute stroke and seeing him struggle on for 6 months in and out of hospital/nursing home and now the prospect of Mum with her dementia has made me shed a few tears today, as it is so sad to see one's loved ones fade from being who they were to the shell that they become before your eyes.
Kaz x x x

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Kaz

one thing to remember...
it is so sad to see one's loved ones fade from being who they were to the shell that they become before your eyes.
... don't go by appearances, necessarily. Mum is still in there, though it may take more effort now to communicate with her and to get through the shell that dementia has put around her.

Please don't write her off as having left the building, so to speak.

Take time to make a new relationship with her, as she is now, and modify that as she changes in the future. You will both gain from the experience.

best wishes

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACampbell