Variation on going home theme?

optocarol

Nov 23, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
My OH has recently had the "bright idea" that he wants to go and live at his commercial/industrial premises. As we moved to a retirement village with care facilities less than 1 year ago, it's not going to happen. His daughter and partner have recently done work there and turned part of the upstairs into a flat, but I'm quite sure she doesn't want dad there full-time and doesn't really have room anyway. (He hasn't seen what they have done.) I'm not sure if this has been the cause of the idea, but I find it very upsetting. Part of the reasons advanced for moving is that he wouldn't have to pay the village fees. In no way does this need to be a concern!

Also, I'm wondering if this is like the going home I read about quite often and represents a time/place when he was OK, even though he says "there's nothing wrong with me".

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
Have they been discussing the work being carried out to make part of the building into a flat??

This could certainly have triggered these thoughts off.

We live in sheltered accommodation and my husband often worries about the service charge, but I tell him everything is under control and he does not have to sign any cheques. We pay by direct debit of course.

Not sure if it is a variation, as he is not talking about going to an old home is he, he is talking about going to a new project at his works.

Each day brings a different dilemma.

Jeannette

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
Mum had a phase when she wanted to go and get work somewhere, in a shop, a supermarket, a restaurant. She has never worked in any of these places but she thought she had and wanted to return there (as well as "go home" constantly)
I think she felt isolated at the time as she was becoming less and less able to communicate with people outside the family.
I can't help trying to rationalise a lot of what went on for mum but really I don't think there is a rational answer to a lot of situations with this illness, it is just human nature to want to find one. That said, it doesn't stop me.
I hope things settle down a bit and you enjoy your retirement village, it sounds like a very good idea to be there.