Vaccine quandary - advice please

Lizbuff

Registered User
Apr 9, 2019
43
0
Hello all!
I has a call today inviting my mum for her first dose of the Pfizer vaccine. She's 78, diagnosed with Alzheimer's 3 years ago and we live together, just the two of us.
I asked about my vaccine as her carer - the very kind woman said she'd add a note that I'd like the vaccine too but only if there's a cancellation.
The centre is about 30 minutes away and we'd have to take a mini cab. She wasn't sure if mum would still need to be observed for 15 minutes afterwards. This would mean we'd have 30 mins in a car with a stranger followed by another 30 mins in a car with a second stranger. Despite masks I can't help feeling this is too much of a risk at present given that only one of us will be immunised.
The receptionist said she would book mum in but I could think about it over the weekend and cancel on Monday if I want to. They'll keep calling mum, so she wouldn't miss out.
I've more or less decided that I'll cancel and ask that mum be done with me in due course - the numbers may have come down by then, it might be at my local surgery (walking distance so much safer) and we'd both have the same type of vaccine. I just wondered what people thought - am I being silly? We're both really keen to have the jab, but we won't be going out without each other....I'd so appreciate any advice or thoughts xx
 

Palerider

Registered User
Aug 9, 2015
2,286
0
North West
Hello all!
I has a call today inviting my mum for her first dose of the Pfizer vaccine. She's 78, diagnosed with Alzheimer's 3 years ago and we live together, just the two of us.
I asked about my vaccine as her carer - the very kind woman said she'd add a note that I'd like the vaccine too but only if there's a cancellation.
The centre is about 30 minutes away and we'd have to take a mini cab. She wasn't sure if mum would still need to be observed for 15 minutes afterwards. This would mean we'd have 30 mins in a car with a stranger followed by another 30 mins in a car with a second stranger. Despite masks I can't help feeling this is too much of a risk at present given that only one of us will be immunised.
The receptionist said she would book mum in but I could think about it over the weekend and cancel on Monday if I want to. They'll keep calling mum, so she wouldn't miss out.
I've more or less decided that I'll cancel and ask that mum be done with me in due course - the numbers may have come down by then, it might be at my local surgery (walking distance so much safer) and we'd both have the same type of vaccine. I just wondered what people thought - am I being silly? We're both really keen to have the jab, but we won't be going out without each other....I'd so appreciate any advice or thoughts xx

I think I would have ensured that your mum had the vaccine, once incubation is over it would have given her 50% protection and reduction in infective symptoms regardless of your position on the matter. I think you will have to take short term risks whatever you do given the circumsstances you describe and therefore the priority should have been your mum remembering her second visit would have half of the original risk.
 

Starting on a journey

Registered User
Jul 9, 2019
548
0
I know how you feel. Mum has her second jab tomorrow and I am worried about the risk....to me.
However we are going, through all this mayhem the jab may be our salvation!
Taxi drivers have to wear masks as do passengers. Mum got fed up sitting there but we had to. Everyone was 80 + with carers but the way I look at it is that mum now has some defence against COVID and will be topped up tomorrow. Most of the people I met hadn’t been out in weeks so not much chance of catching it and passing it on. Whatever you decide please feel comfortable with your decision.
 

Louise7

Registered User
Mar 25, 2016
2,715
0
I agree with @Palerider in your position I would take my mum for the vaccine to ensure that she gets some protection from the virus as soon as possible. Plus from what you have posted there's a possibility that you might be able to get the vaccination at the same time if someone cancels. Could you book the same minicab driver for both journeys, or ask them to wait, if worried about the risk of using two different drivers? Depending which area you live in, if you can book a black cab rather than a mini cab they are considered to be a bit safer as there will be a screen between the driver and passengers which you may not get in a mini cab.
 

None the Wiser

Registered User
Feb 3, 2020
143
0
Sorry, I can’t be any help on making this decision, except I think the sooner you can get your mum vaccinated the better.

I wondered if anyone knows what happens to those people who can’t wait in a queue to be vaccinated, and may become aggressive, or refuse to have it. I did manage to take my husband for his flu vaccine in September, but he has deteriorated considerably since then, and I don’t think he will have any understanding of what’s going on, or be compliant. We are both in our late 60’s with no underlying health conditions (except my husband is in stage 6 dementia, and his behaviour is unpredictable).
 

Coffa

New member
Jan 3, 2021
7
0
Have you spoken to the GP? It might be a vaccine storage issue that stops them bringing it to the surgery but they might be getting the Oxford vaccine.
 

jennifer1967

Registered User
Mar 15, 2020
1,869
0
Southampton
have you asked about them coming to you. even with taxis in my area they are partitioning off the front from the back with see through plastic sheeting and do use masks. this should be safer than say public transport. i would have your mum immunized. we as a couple going to have the same problem, my husband is in cat 4 extremely vulnerable as he has copd as well and carers are being done as cat 6 so it might be quicker than normal. i did ask a council meeting i was taking part in about carers vaccines and its about cat 6 with people with underlying health problems. they have to come to me as i cant go out so i will be a bit longer. it might be worth asking the questions to nurse or gp explaining that your mum may not understand and see if you can go further to the front. but let her have that protection as its worse the older you are to recover. its not a live vaccine so you cant catch it from the vaccine itself, its not covid that goes in. i did ask the nurse.
 

Weasell

Registered User
Oct 21, 2019
910
0
I have extra information I don’t want to discuss.
My advice is GO!
I understand the bill for the outing will look ridiculously high.
My advice is just pay.
I would go one further, talk to the cab company and pay the driver to wait the 15 minutes then take you home!
How much money would you pay if it was a ‘special dinner’ in a posh restaurant?
Buy a fillet steak from Lidl and pay what you need to for this outing.
 

jennifer1967

Registered User
Mar 15, 2020
1,869
0
Southampton
Hello all!
I has a call today inviting my mum for her first dose of the Pfizer vaccine. She's 78, diagnosed with Alzheimer's 3 years ago and we live together, just the two of us.
I asked about my vaccine as her carer - the very kind woman said she'd add a note that I'd like the vaccine too but only if there's a cancellation.
The centre is about 30 minutes away and we'd have to take a mini cab. She wasn't sure if mum would still need to be observed for 15 minutes afterwards. This would mean we'd have 30 mins in a car with a stranger followed by another 30 mins in a car with a second stranger. Despite masks I can't help feeling this is too much of a risk at present given that only one of us will be immunised.
The receptionist said she would book mum in but I could think about it over the weekend and cancel on Monday if I want to. They'll keep calling mum, so she wouldn't miss out.
I've more or less decided that I'll cancel and ask that mum be done with me in due course - the numbers may have come down by then, it might be at my local surgery (walking distance so much safer) and we'd both have the same type of vaccine. I just wondered what people thought - am I being silly? We're both really keen to have the jab, but we won't be going out without each other....I'd so appreciate any advice or thoughts xx
are you down on the gp records that you are a carer? need to notify them
 

Lizbuff

Registered User
Apr 9, 2019
43
0
Many thanks to all of you who've replied- I really appreciate your comments. I would just like to say in response that I have given up work to care for her full-time, so she's always my number one priority @Palerider and my hesitation had nothing to do with cost of transport @Weasell or worry about the vaccine itself. We've literally not left the house since March and I am purely concerned to keep us both as safe as possible.
I should also make it clear that, at the receptionist's suggestion I accepted the appointment with assurances that cancellation on Monday morning would not prevent someone else taking the slot. I'm going to call the Admiral helpline tomorrow to talk it through with them.
Best wishes and stay safe.
 
Last edited:

Weasell

Registered User
Oct 21, 2019
910
0
Good luck @Lizbuff !
One other thought would be to telephone the cab company and enquire if they have any drivers that have already had Covid ?
If you could book one of those drivers then my thinking is that the odds of getting a second Covid infection, while not impossible will be statically lower.

Sorry my post was badly worded. I don’t have concerns about the Pfizer vaccine, which would be why I would attend.
But your Love for your mum comes though so strongly in your post, I am sure everyone can understand your worries.
 

Palerider

Registered User
Aug 9, 2015
2,286
0
North West
Many thanks to all of you who've replied- I really appreciate your comments. I would just like to say in response that I have given up work to care for her full-time, so she's always my number one priority @Palerider and my hesitation had nothing to do with cost of transport @Weasell or worry about the vaccine itself. We've literally not left the house since March and I am purely concerned to keep us both as safe as possible.
I should also make it clear that, at the receptionist's suggestion I accepted the appointment with assurances that cancellation on Monday morning would not prevent someone else taking the slot. I'm going to call the Admiral helpline tomorrow to talk it through with them.
Best wishes and stay safe.

Of course she's your number one priority, apologies if what I said came over the wrong way.
 

Lizbuff

Registered User
Apr 9, 2019
43
0
Good luck @Lizbuff !
One other thought would be to telephone the cab company and enquire if they have any drivers that have already had Covid ?
If you could book one of those drivers then my thinking is that the odds of getting a second Covid infection, while not impossible will be statically lower.

Sorry my post was badly worded. I don’t have concerns about the Pfizer vaccine, which would be why I would attend.
But your Love for your mum comes though so strongly in your post, I am sure everyone can understand your worries.
 

Lizbuff

Registered User
Apr 9, 2019
43
0
Thanks, again for taking the time to respond. I think I've been stressing too much - it seemed a huge responsibility and I just wanted to make the 'right' decision.
So, having spoken to Age Concern, Alzheimer's Society, Admiral nurses and two of my cousins (one of whom is a nurse) I have decided to cancel just for now. I did look into booking a black cab in advance (screen already fitted!) and even rang our local minicab office and, in a half joking voice, did actually ask if we could have a driver who's Covid-recovered @Weasell :).
The Admiral nurse, in particular, was fantastic and let me talk through all my pros and cons before reassuring me that I had convinced both myself and her that the decision to postpone was sound.
I'll talk to the GP tomorrow to ensure she's still on the list, check that my registration as her carer is on record and ask roughly where I am on the list. Hopefully we'll both be able to have it, perhaps even at our surgery, within the next couple of months. We'll sit tight until then.
Wishing us all love and luck xx
 

Hayley JS

Registered User
Feb 20, 2020
262
0
@Lizbuff, it was a difficult choice but I think taking into account a 30minute taxi trip you probably made the right choice for you. Relatives of mine panicked about their vaccine trip, cancelled but have been able to rebook the appt for in a couple of days with a more suitable journey plan. Oh and in our town there is a specialist taxi firm for those with a wide range of disabilities, their cabs might be more suitable if you have something similar in your area? All the best to you n mum x
 

Lizbuff

Registered User
Apr 9, 2019
43
0
@Lizbuff, it was a difficult choice but I think taking into account a 30minute taxi trip you probably made the right choice for you. Relatives of mine panicked about their vaccine trip, cancelled but have been able to rebook the appt for in a couple of days with a more suitable journey plan. Oh and in our town there is a specialist taxi firm for those with a wide range of disabilities, their cabs might be more suitable if you have something similar in your area? All the best to you n mum x
Thanks very much indeed, @Hayley JS I do think it was the right decision - can only hope 🤞🙂. I'm looking into cab firms again for when we get another call and will bear that in mind. All the best to you and yours, too - stay safe x