Utter despair and desolation

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
Dear Norrms

How you give to us whilst this incidious disease steals from you, never ceases to amaze me.

I am constantly in awe of the small number of people like yourself that articulate this disease whilst most bury their heads and deny it.

Just want to send you a cyber hug.

Sue

donkey

Aug 16, 2009
sutton coldfield
dear norrms, dave was VERY depressed for three years and is now on escitalapram and does seem alot better, daves consultant said it was recomended for people with dementia, it dosnt seem too slow him down any more than he already is. maybe you should try these as im sure you would
rather feel a bit better even if you were a bit slower, im glad you are feeling a little better today. sending you a big hug to cheer you up norrms xxxx

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Hiya

Hello all and thank you, i have been on Prozac for a while now and it seems to do the trick apart from the odd days when i am really bad and unfortunatley i go to really bad places with my thoughts but thankfully Elaine is there to steer me clear of any harm, best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxx

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Hello my dear friend....

I do hope you are feeling a bit better. I know what a demon depression can be(though I still say I'm not depressed just have too much on my plate). Luckily the one thing about Mum is she always seems pretty happy. It's very easy to hide behind a screen, much harder to be open and honest.
I have no magic wand, but I'd happily pose as a fairly godmother if it would cheer you up?

Take care
xx

carrie99

Apr 26, 2009
Yorkshire
Oh dear, I do feel for you all

I realise that I am so lucky - my antidepressants really do the trick, combined with the fact that I am still able to go on long walks (with the local U3A walking group).

I know I have all this to come and just want those of you who are having to cope with all this NOW know that others are thinking of you in your day to day struggle with this horrid disease.

Carrie

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Best wishes Norrms

Norrms, I used to take Prozac but found it made me very sleepy. I now take a low dose of Escitalopram, (also known as Citalopram or Cipralex) and it seems to do the trick.

Having said that I had a very low day on Saturday and felt as if all I wanted to do was sleep forever. I don't think the gloomy weather helps depression nor the short winter days.

I was able to 'pick myself up' but it did take a struggle. I hope you have a better week this week. Stay strong if you can. You are a great inspiration here.

Last edited:

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Overdose?

I notice a lot of people here have said how sleepy anti-depressants make them, and some have said they take a very low dose. I'm quite interested in things like the body's responses to stimuli and the way Bach's Flower remedies work. For those that are not familiar with them they often say the lower the concentration of the remedy the more powerful it is. It kind of follows a theory that if the body gets a little bit of something it overeacts because it thinks there may be more to follow.
Unfortunately I have seen anti-depressants used a lot, and almost without exception I have felt that the side effects are almost as bad as the depression often causing a high degree of incapacity.
My GP said it is not worth me taking 5mg of paroxetine daily as it is too small a dose to help, but I said I felt it did help, and if the body can react to a tiny amount of something like cyanide, I didn't understand why people did not feele it could react to tiny doese of other compounds.
End result I still take my 5mg, cope a LOT better, and don't feel so drugged up I can't make decisions or respond to emergencies.
I am not recommending this for everyone though, it's just my experience.

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
Acupuncture update...

as many of you know I started to try acupuncture just before Xmas. They normally recommend about 6 weekly sessions followed by top-ups every six weeks or so. I have actually needed a few more weeks of weekly sessions but the acupuncturist has tackled a number of issues I was having. I do not know if th results are do to the treatment or coincidence but when I first went I had had salmonella several weeks earlier and still felt tired and weak and had loose bowels, and stomach pains, felt weak and tired, and emotionally vulnerable. I was also developing pains in my hands.
As mentioned the first few sessions were amazing if only for the sense of deep relaxation. Though I also started to feel much stronger emotionally.
I have now moved to fortnightly sessions and as from next week will be going to monthly sessions. The GP was unable to find any problems with my hands despite a lot of blood tests etc. However after one session of acupunture targetting the hands they felt a lot better and I was able to sleep at night. I have now had two sessions that have concentrated on the hands and they feel 75% better, and have only distrubed my sleep once or twice in the last week or so.
I have definitely become a convert. I tried acupuncture as a result of desperation. I would certainly advise people who are interested to look at it with an open mind.

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Agreed !!

i agree, Elaine has a frozen shoulder for many years now because of a patient falling backwards on her and breaking it. A couple of years ago she went to accupuncture and still does today as its the only thing that relieves the pain, ME??? no thank you, i have NEEDLE PHOBIA :eek: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
the lower the concentration of the remedy the more powerful it is
This is so interesting Bristolbelle and something I have only recently been told.
Dhiren was taking 30mg Mirtazapine , an antidepressant . The doses are 15mg, 30mg and 45mg so he was on the middle dose. The consultant and I agreed he was no longer depressed. I thought he should be weaned off them gradually by lowering the dose. The consultant said precisely the same as you, a lower dose would have a stronger effect. So he stopped taking this drug immediately.

Kendra

Jan 26, 2010
fairly godmother

Apologies Bristolbelle, but this typo made me giggle, I felt it applies to me on my tired and cranky days.
As in I am doing as much as I can so it will have to do:D

Norrms depression is an exhausting thing to deal with. Might wanting to sleep be your body's way of trying to deal with the exhaustion and refresh you?
Cheers
Kendra

carrie99

Apr 26, 2009
Yorkshire
Oh Poor old Norrms!

I am lucky in that my anti depressants do work - one in the morning and one at night. I'm sure I'll need more at some point before I go onto the 'proper' pills. But I'm in no rush, I'd rather wait until I really need them.

Are you on Aricept or equivalent yet? I'm told I have to get down to a score of 20 whatever that means before I get Aricept. I think that is when the community nurse does the 6 months tests but they are short staffed so I may have to wait longer.

Carrie

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
I'd like to genuinely thank you for sharing with us your experiences from the other side of the fence.

I find it so hard to understand how Dad is feeling. There are periods when he just sits, silently staring at the floor. I have no idea what goes on in his mind.

Sometimes, he said he is depressed, but I have not known if this is a genuine statement, or part of him blaming something else for his state of confusion etc.

I think, probably, it was a real rather than something invented to explain away everything else.

He is on antidepressants now, and I hope they pick him up in his spirits.

Thank you again for sharing your experiences with us all.

Kind regards.

Beverley

carrie99

Apr 26, 2009
Yorkshire
Lucky!

I seem to be very lucky. Once I had been told by the doctor, I was put on antidepressants by my doctor, Citalopram in the morning and Amitriptyline at night.

Between them they keep me sane and I can get on with my life

Carrie

carrie99

Apr 26, 2009
Yorkshire
Depression

I am lucky in that my anti depressants seem to work (at the moment) - I was diagnosed last April.

But they don't seem to be as effective now - hopefully things will get better when I get the 'proper' medication. At the moment it is long walks (in a group so I don't get lost!)

and stroking our new cat and (blush) eating ice cream because it is naughty but nice

Carrie

Libby

May 20, 2006
North East
Many thanks to Norrms and Barry for sharing their feelings in this post.

Depression, has always been just a word to me – I’ve never really understood what people who had depression went through and I feel so much more informed now.

It makes me wonder now, if Mum has suffered in the past, and is possibly still suffering. There are days when we visit, and she’s quite chatty, yet other days when she doesn’t want anything to do with anyone and just sits there with her eyes closed. It’s as if everyone and everything annoys her and she just can’t be bothered with anything at all.

Thanks again Norrms & Barry

Libs