Using debit card - no LPA or Deputyship(yet)

kobismummy

Mar 11, 2019
Hi,
I am wondering if anyone can help with some advice about financial issues. My grandma has recently been formally diagnosed with vascular dementia (although she has been deteriorating over the past year and a half). She has over the past 18 months has more and more support from my aunt with her finances. She has, with permission, for this time held my grandmas bank card and has made all the transactions for food, clothes, toiletries, household items, pretty much everything. Last spring we discussed sorting power of attorney but before it was possible to get this though my grandma suffered a stroke which has seen her cognitive side deteriorate massively and now power of attorney is no longer an option. My aunt did try and set something up at the bank but they needed my grandma to explain what she wanted them to do rather than just agree to what my aunt was saying and she couldnt do it. We are in the process of applying for deputyship for my aunt and myself (who my grandma had previously expressed that she wanted to be her attorneys had that have happened) however things have come to the point where my grandma is no longer safe at home and we have made the sad decision to move her into a care home. When discussing top up fees for the care home our social worker has said that legally we are not allowed to access without having POA or deputyship. Now obviously my grandma cannot give consent right now or really understand much of what she is agreeing to, but we have the issue of her needing new clothes (shes lost a lot of weight in the past few months) and needing other toiletries and haircut and whatever else and seemingly no way of paying for it. Does past permission count for anything if we were to keep all receipts etc? or is it just plain no illegal? There was nothing written in the way of permission it was always just verbal.
We also have an issue that with her moving into a care home we are going to need to sort out her household bills and cancel certain things but they will not speak to us at present. Is there any way to do any of this while we wait for the deputyship to come through as that could take months!
Thankyou in advance.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome to the forum @kobismummy.

I think the short/strict answer is that you don't have authority to use the debit card. I use my wife's card but have always been required to have her with me and have her give permission, which she can still do, before my use has been accepted by retailers etc.

If you want to discuss the overall position with the experts on the Helpline, the details are
National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Live on-line advice is available in the UK if you follow this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/national-dementia-helpline/live-online-advice

Good luck with everything, dementia is tough enough without these niggles.