Using an iPad as a carer...your thoughts?

HappyChap

Jan 10, 2017
A newbie and seeking advice. My research suggested music was a key to unlocking memories. I thought by using an iPad to play music to a residents particular taste would be good and a way of building relationships. Have been told, as mobile phones are banned, my iPad cannot be used. Your thoughts?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello HappyChap
welcome to TP
I see that you are an activities co-ordinator, so I guess you are bound by the rules of the care home and your employment - I was a teacher and was not allowed to use a mobile whilst teaching, nor were the students - one risk was that photos might be taken/recordings made; apart from the obvious not making/taking calls while in the classroom
are mobiles banned for staff whilst on duty? or for use near/by residents? - is it because you might use an internet connection? - or that calls may be made on them?
it may be that using your personal iPad at work may be a dodgy idea in itself eg the risk of it being broken; the risk of your personal info being seen by others
might the home buy a device of its own so that you could record music to suit residents and play it on the home's player, so only music is involved
as you can probably tell, I don't know much about downloading - I still have vinyls, tapes and CDs, with rare visit to youtube
and yes, music is a powerful means of reaching people with dementia
best wishes

HappyChap

Jan 10, 2017
It's a modern world and although mobiles are banned, staff carry them about. My point, my iPad is no more a threat than the people concealing a mobile phone. I merely want to use my iPad as a tool to make me a better carer. I want to use it as 'Key' to opening up a smile or a memory. Misuse of the iPad should, without doubt, result in dismissal. All things taken into consideration, and taking into account we have a duty of care, is it a good idea in your opinion?
Yes it is my iPad but I am prepared to use it at my risk. My tool, my risk. :)
While chatting to someone and they mention a song/artist, playing it instantly keeps the continuity of conversation going. It opens up the next chapter of a conversation. I pay a monthly fee to a certain music provider with 40m songs. That, in my opinion, is using technology to our advantage.
Anyone can play music. However, playing the right music instantly can, I believe, make a difference.

Last edited:

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
these, no doubt, are explanations you have given to your manager who has to balance any momentary benefit with an overall duty of care and responsibility to safe guard every resident
the fact is, in your work place you are not allowed to use your own iPad
my dad's in a care home and I would not be comfortable with a member of staff using a personal ipad or mobile or whatever device with him as I have no means of monitoring that interaction - that's my personal opinion

HappyChap

Jan 10, 2017
Your point is taken and I value your opinion. Thank you. I totally take on board your concerns.
However, mobile phones can be easily concealed. Is there risk not more of a concern than the open use of an iPad?
Taking out the potential for misuse and taking into consideration it is more probable that a modern day phone is easier to conceal if carrying out any covert data captures than any iPad would be, used honestly and as I suggested, would you allow it? ;)

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
The truth is: if your employer says you can't use the iPad, then you can't use the iPad, and it really doesn't matter what the rest of us might say or think. I think a better use of your energy us to consider what might be acceptable. Perhaps a Wi-Fi enabled music player would work. Something without a camera anyway.

Sent from my XT1526 using Talking Point mobile app

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Why not try an older version iPod, you can download music as a ready selection, look up relevant music requests & bring them in next time. That would be a conversation starter for your next visit

If your employer is concerned about the use of a camera, you can disable this, or older version of the iPod Touch does not have a camera

It might be worth asking if that would be acceptable.

It does depend on what your employer is trying to prevent by not allowing a phone or iPad, the ability to make calls, or the ability to take photos, or another reason

If all else fails, perhaps you could download songs you've been asked about & offer them at a music activity, where your employer has control over what is happening

Just a few alternative thoughts

Sam

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
You might find this interesting. The basis of this is creating playlists specifically for individuals. I used the approach with my husband and it was remarkably successful. I used an iPod shuffle (which is tiny) and a pair of earphones.

http://www.playlistforlife.org.uk/#2946

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Last edited:

HappyChap

Jan 10, 2017
The truth is: if your employer says you can't use the iPad, then you can't use the iPad, and it really doesn't matter what the rest of us might say or think. I think a better use of your energy us to consider what might be acceptable. Perhaps a Wi-Fi enabled music player would work. Something without a camera anyway.

Thank you Jennifer but I am unsure if the owners have stipulated I can't use it. Just a newbie to this profession and do not want to go direct to the owners at this moment in time. In short, my manager has just said, 'I can't be bothered with the hassle of the others asking why xxxxx can use the iPad but we can't use our phones'.
Sometimes, I believe, the technology available frightens those who are unaware of its benefits. Notwithstanding, I seek an alternative and my energy is focused on that. Great comment and I appreciate your advice.

HappyChap

Jan 10, 2017
Why not try an older version iPod, you can download music as a ready selection, look up relevant music requests & bring them in next time. That would be a conversation starter for your next visit

If your employer is concerned about the use of a camera, you can disable this, or older version of the iPod Touch does not have a camera

It does depend on what your employer is trying to prevent by not allowing a phone or iPad, the ability to make calls, or the ability to take photos, or another reason

If all else fails, perhaps you could download songs you've been asked about & offer them at a music activity, where your employer has control over what is happening

Sam

Thanks Sam. Appreciate your comment. Downloading can be hard work and maybe hit or miss. The availability to call on 40m songs via my service provider was advantageous. Asking someone to name a favourite song then play it instantaneously and, in my opinion, makes a connection.

HappyChap

Jan 10, 2017
You might find this interesting. The basis of this is creating playlists specifically for individuals. I used the approach with my husband and it was remarkably successful. I used an iPod shuffle (which is tiny) and a pair of earphones

Cheers Izzy. Appreciate your suggestion. Will visit site.

Last edited by a moderator:

HappyChap

Jan 10, 2017

Sam

Thanks Sam. Comments appreciated.

oilovlam

Aug 2, 2015
South East
HappyChap, you have to adhere to the rules of the company you work for. I presume they are worried about the camera on the ipad. If staff openly use ipad's and smartphones then visitors will expect to be able to use them too.

I suppose you could write a proposal outlining the benefits of your music stimulation idea and present it to the management. If they like the idea they may have a suggestion or compromise....managers are usually good at finding a way to get something done, they don't always say "No".

Some people have suggested using older technology that doesn't have a camera. You could have a server that stores the songs and streams the music over wi-fi (don't know how practical that would be....also expensive). Someone may have an older ipad that a techie could remove the camera from, you could then mark it up as 'Music Player'. I'm sure there are lots of options.

It sounds like you need to research other ways of doing what you want to do....ways that don't use hardware with a camera (I am assuming that the camera is the problem). You could ask in technology forums or any techie people that you know. I'm sure there is a way to do what you want to do....it's just a matter of cost and if the management can see the benefits then they may be willing to spend a little for the well-being of their clients.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi HappyChap
Your point is taken and I value your opinion. Thank you. I totally take on board your concerns.
However, mobile phones can be easily concealed. Is there risk not more of a concern than the open use of an iPad?
Taking out the potential for misuse and taking into consideration it is more probable that a modern day phone is easier to conceal if carrying out any covert data captures than any iPad would be, used honestly and as I suggested, would you allow it? ;)
my quick answer is no
and I don't see the argument about mobiles as relevant; it's a separate issue - nor the fact that you will be using the iPad overtly
my 1st concern is that it is your personal iPad; I don't personally feel the use of any personal technology is appropriate
my 2nd is that, as I understand it, it will be actively linked to the internet; I couldn't monitor what was being downloaded or uploaded, although the manager no doubt could ask to look at what it was being used for, but as it's your personal belonging, I'm not sure of the legal issues eg teachers in my school had a school laptop and a school account to use so personal and school use were kept separate and the IT technicians monitored the use of all school equipment
in my dad's home, I cannot link his TV to the internet as the home's wifi connection just isn't good enough, so any use of wifi on any technology has to be data roaming - this may be an issue in the home you work in
and staff are not to have mobiles on their person without specific permission - in fact they carry as little as possible on their person for their and the residents' safety
I did suggest you look into having the home buy a device of its own - and others have given more specific suggestions (I can't, I don't use this type of technology) - this could then be used only within the home and for specifically work related use - which would mean that its use can be monitored by your manager
your main idea seems to be that you want to be able to react immediately to a mention of a song - it's a lovely thought but maybe not as key as you consider right now - building up a playlist, or several types of playlist will mean you may well have a song or something similar to hand - and talking with the family of residents will help you over time build up lists catering for individual tastes
in dad's home they have records and CDs, and an ipod - they play music and show films - though things do go missing and are broken by residents, which is something to consider with expensive pieces of equipment
use of technology to help residents = great - just not your personal technology

PS I'm not even too worried about the camera, as long as its on a device owned by and only used in the home - in dad's home the resident & their family are asked if they give permission to have photos taken and then for the photos to be used only for records; only within the home; on displays; in the local paper ..... so that each resident's privacy is controlled as much as the resident & their family wish

Last edited:

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
Hi HappyChap
use of technology to help residents = great - just not your personal technology

I agree. I do so much on my OH's ipad with him, but he is still at home.

I download tunes, just as you want to. I can find the same tune on YouTube with the lyrics so that we can have a sing-a-long. We also use a drawing app called Kaleidoscope and lots more.

There's loads of great things you can do with an ipad but it's the concern about the camera and control that is the problem.

Why don't you do lots of research into all the good things that could be done with an ipad in your workplace. Then put it to the powers that be, asking them to buy one specific for the home. They could dismantle the camera and monitor it's use.

There must be a way around this, where you can get all the benefits of the technology without the problems of security etc.