Usability improvements trial

Mark_W

Sep 28, 2015
London
We've just started to trial a few changes here on the forum that we hope will make it a lot easier to sign up to and use. We've also streamlined our front page and made search less complicated to use across the site.

We'll be monitoring how things go over the next few weeks and see how the changes work for you all.

The full list of changes includes:

We've made it easier to sign up and login:

• Removing the date of birth part of the sign up form.
  • We've added login and sign up buttons at the top and bottom of every forum and thread for logged out users.
  • Once you've signed up you'll be taken back to where you were reading rather than the front page.
1.png

Streamlined and simplifed front page

We've reduced the amount of scrolling you need to do on the front page, especially on mobiles and tablets.
  • Removed the welcome banner
  • Reduced the size of our welcome message.
  • Removed descriptions for each of the forums.
Our old front page

2.png

Our new front page

3.png

Simplified Search

We've also simplified things so you don't get shown lots of options when you use the search box. And now when you're off the front page you only search the part of the forum you're in.

If you've got any feedback on this or spot any problems please do post them in this thread.

Thanks

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
In search is the 'Matched Users' entry result new?
I can't recall it being there before.

Mark_W

Sep 28, 2015
London
It's not something that was included in the changes, I believe it came in with a small software update a month or two ago.

Thanks

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Thanks.
I thought it was new, but then when searching I don't normally inspect the whole screen, useful to know it exists.
I've crawled around a bit and haven't found anything untoward.