Urinating in toilet bin

Toopie28

Jun 7, 2022
I know I've seen this before (I think) and I tried to search on here but can't find it.

Ma is in the carehome and apparently urinating in the bin. It's a small silver bin with a LID on it right next to the toilet.
I have no idea why or how she would do this. I suppose I'm kinda impressed that she manages to be so accurate with this tiny opening. I wonder if someone is coming into her room but again, it means pushing the pedal and peeing directly in there. I don't think she even knows how to open this thing.

Do you think it's because she can't "see" the toilet? Her depth perception is quite bad but the fact that she's got this wee bin and manages to actually urinate in it as opposed to the toilet - I'm not sure what that's about.
There's no way she can go down that far...or can she? It's bizarre.

Should I put some bright stickers or something on the toilet bowl? Anyone dealt with this before?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Toopie28

You may be correct about the visual issues as my wife often can't see the toilet when she is looking directly at it.

I've seen it suggested that a red toilet seat helps with this so that may be worth a try.

Last edited:

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Silver toilet seat and then move the bin possibly, only thing I can think of and not something I thought I'd be saying when I got up this morning. Best I have to offer.
What has my world come to. K (a now former carer).

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Toopie28 I would definitely ask for the bin to be removed from beside the toilet. You might find this link regarding blue and red toilet seats useful.

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
Silver toilet seat and then move the bin possibly, only thing I can think of and not something I thought I'd be saying when I got up this morning. Best I have to offer.
What has my world come to. K (a now former carer).
That made me laugh @Kevinl .

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
great practical carers advice! would be interesting to see what happens if the bin is moved….

mum did this when she had delirium. Do you think her confusion remains from the u treated UTI?

Rishile

Dec 28, 2022
When my husband first went into a Care Home he didn't recognise the toilet and I had to keep pointing it out to him. I realised it was because of the disability aids which he didn't need so asked for them to be removed. He had less trouble with that afterwards but similar things happened later.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Is it a white toilet with a white seat? With dementia white things seem to disappear and cannot be seen, which is why a coloured toilet seat (red or blue is best) is frequently recommended.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Don't even as that question, what next...expect the unexpected, meanwhile we are all to help were we can. K

Toopie28

Jun 7, 2022
Don't even as that question, what next...expect the unexpected, meanwhile we are all to help were we can. K
I know. Thanks to all.
Like you say
" not something I thought I'd be saying when I got up this morning."

PeaceLily54

Aug 17, 2023
Hi
Well I never! Each time I think that I have a unique issue/mysterious occurrence with mum that I cannot solve, this Forum has the answer! :) ...
From time-to-time on a couple of occasions I noticed a distinct odour coming from the kitchen bin but I couldn't be sure because I couldn't comprehend that mum would ever be able to manage to urinate in the bin! she also does not seem to know where the toilet and when she is there, needs help navigating the complexities of the circumference of the toilet seat! Often we have to lead her to the toilet often asking us 'do I sit now'?
Reading this post, it all makes so much sense now. I think my instincts were correct, I believe it was indeed where she went because she simply could not find the toilet and the kitchen bin which is green and about 2ft tall was the chosen vessel.

Ordering a new blue toilet seat immediately!

Thank you all! :)