Urgent Help, Care Home Place, Deputyship, House Sale!

Discussion in 'Middle - later stages of dementia' started by Lets_Stop_Time, Sep 14, 2015.

  1. Lets_Stop_Time

    Lets_Stop_Time Registered User

    Aug 23, 2015
    MIL has mixed vascular dementia alzheimers. Deemed to no longer have mental capacity.
    We have just had the call to say a room is available in our much preferred care home. She went for a trial day and so they could see how she is and they said her dementia is very advanced and she will need to be on their nursing wing.

    Less than 15 K in savings and owns own home.
    Deputyship applied for in the last week, told approx time scale 16 weeks to decision.

    We have to make decision with care home tomorrow regarding wanting the bedroom and proof of funds.

    Anybody been in this scenario? What do we do?

    *** Most important question Has anybody been granted an urgent deputyship to be allowed to sell a house to pay for a care home?
    Really dont want to lose the room as the wait could be forever a space to be available again and she needs the care now
  2. Shedrech

    Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

    Dec 15, 2012
    I haven't been in this situation but wanted to reply so you know the post is being read

    I would speak to the home - this can't be a unique situation - they may well have procedures in place to help you
    and to Social Services - I believe there's a period of disregard to give you a chance to settle the finances

    I wish you all well!
  3. Delphie

    Delphie Registered User

    Dec 14, 2011

    When waiting for a Deputyship, things got quite urgent for me too, so I contacted the CoP and was told that an interim order was possible. The Deputyship order itself in my case was granted almost immediately after that though (I had been waiting a few weeks already) so there was no need for it in the end, but there's obviously there's some kind of a system in place there, which may help you if you contact them and explore it further.

    The other avenue to pursue is your MiL's local authority. Yes, she's self funding (I assume, given that she owns a property) but that doesn't mean they can't/won't pay for the care home while the sale of the house goes through (and be paid back after any disregard period).

    Good luck. :)
  4. Lets_Stop_Time

    Lets_Stop_Time Registered User

    Aug 23, 2015
    I rang social services and they have verbally said she fits criteria for the 12 week funding, but they obviously only pay a certain amount so we have to pay a top up amount.
  5. Lets_Stop_Time

    Lets_Stop_Time Registered User

    Aug 23, 2015
    Also what happens if we dont sell the house within 12 weeks? House here sell within days usually but as we are waiting on deputyship to be allowed to sell it we could run out of time.
  6. tryingmybest

    tryingmybest Registered User

    May 22, 2015
    You can apply for an interim order through cop. Give them a call and ask for Nicole who can guide you through this. I cant remember the correct forms. Good luck. Xx
  7. curtainsgalore

    curtainsgalore Registered User

    Nov 2, 2014
    I think the local authority/care home would let you defer payments until the house was sold. This would certainly give you some time while the deputy ship was going through. Best not lose the place at your preferred care home.
  8. Delphie

    Delphie Registered User

    Dec 14, 2011
    They were possibly talking about an amount your MiL will have to contribute, even while they're temporarily covering the bulk of the fees. The exact amount is calculated for each individual, as it depends on their particular financial situation, but it should be affordable, as in taken from truly 'spare' cash. Oh, and she'll be left with just under £24 per week for personal expenses.

    There is such a thing as top up fees, but that usually applies to people who want a more expensive care home than the LA are prepared to fund. In those instances a third party can commit to making up the difference. But if your MiL is likely to remain a self-funder for quite some time (if her property will generate a decent amount of cash) then this shouldn't concern you right now.

    And don't worry if you don't get a sale within the 12 weeks. The LA will carry on paying. They'll keep a running total of course, and will possibly put a charge on the property too, to make sure they get their money back.

    Try not to worry too much about all this. It will get sorted out. The are process in place to make sure situations like yours are covered.
  9. tealover

    tealover Registered User

    Sep 8, 2011
    It is such a difficult time, we moved mum into care from being admitted to a MH hospital for assessment. whilst there she had agreed to POA then refused on the day, so I also had to apply for deputyship whilst she was moving into a home.

    Firstly, the application is fairly straightforward and I got mine through in around 7-8 weeks although they did acknowledge the form saying it would take anything upto 12 weeks at that stage. Secondly, I spoke to the Council and to Mum's Social Worker (we were advised to pay the Council as opposed to just pay privately so that we had the support of appropriate people in the instance there were any issues) and they agreed that this is a common situation, and not to worry, just pay when the finances are sorted. The house may sell reasonably quickly, which of course will be a help.

    Also, have you completed an Attendance Allowance Form? Will help a little.

    Chin up and good luck x
  10. nita

    nita Registered User

    Dec 30, 2011
    #10 nita, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  11. Rettaere

    Rettaere Registered User

    Sep 30, 2014
    I have just basically been through same thing, they have to wait until deputyship is granted, the council were paying for care home on deferred payment until funds were released then I repaid them. House is just getting ready to be sold after 18 months so don't be worrying and good luck x

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.