Updates

debs1969

Apr 13, 2020
My mum is in a care home and we’ve been informed over the phone that it now has a few confirmed covid-19 cases. Shouldn’t the owner be providing the families of all residents with daily, or even weekly updates? Especially now. As visiting is prohibited, I just feel in the dark about everything. And I don’t like having to keep ringing the busy care staff for updates, as I feel they’ve been given restrictions on providing information.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome @debs1969.

That's a difficult situation for you as I'm sure that Care Homes are under great pressure at the moment and that, of course, clashes with your needs to some extent.

You have come to the right place for support so please keep posting.

debs1969

Apr 13, 2020
Hello and welcome @debs1969.

That's a difficult situation for you as I'm sure that Care Homes are under great pressure at the moment and that, of course, clashes with your needs to some extent.

You have come to the right place for support so please keep posting.
Thank you.

istherelight?

Feb 15, 2017
Hi @debs1969

I felt the same as you - didn't want to bother the home. I knew they would ring me if my mum became unwell as they phoned me as soon as the virus got into the CH. I did ring after a few days, working on the "no news is good news" principle.
This all changed when Mum developed symptoms, along with many others, including carers. The staff have been wonderful with phones calls, FaceTime and the chance to visit (which, painfully, I cannot do as I am vulnerable). I think they are saving all their time for the very sick though they did stress to me that it was always OK to 'phone anyway.
I do hope your Mum is OK .

debs1969

Apr 13, 2020
Hi @debs1969

I felt the same as you - didn't want to bother the home. I knew they would ring me if my mum became unwell as they phoned me as soon as the virus got into the CH. I did ring after a few days, working on the "no news is good news" principle.
This all changed when Mum developed symptoms, along with many others, including carers. The staff have been wonderful with phones calls, FaceTime and the chance to visit (which, painfully, I cannot do as I am vulnerable). I think they are saving all their time for the very sick though they did stress to me that it was always OK to 'phone anyway.
I do hope your Mum is OK .
Thank you. So sorry to hear about your mum, hope she gets through it ❤️. I had to ask the home if there were any covid cases or I’d have never known. I now know there’s a registered nurse there, and volunteers I think. I just feel totally in the dark, as I’ve not seen my mum for four weeks now, and she has dementia. There’s no way of contacting her, and I worry she’s going to forget who we are. The owners are a disgrace. The least they could do is give family the odd update.

Splashing About

Oct 20, 2019
I’m struggling with this. No real news and they avoid direct answers to questions like is she awake, is she asking for us, has she lost weight, is she sleeping a lot, is she eating? They offered to video her or send pictures but never do. I rarely ask because I don’t want to bother them. I have noted they are lovely and respond quickly but evasive in their answers.

i asked again today how she was and was told the manager will ring me tomorrow. This is a first. im now not going to sleep in case she’s going to tell me something bad.

They can’t win I guess. The less they say the more I worry. Having said the manager is going to call me tomorrow I’m also worried!
Not seeing her and imagining her confusion and upset at not seeing family (she had visitors every day until lock down) as she won’t understand is really a painful thought. This is so cruel. I drove there and sat outside the care home in the car just to feel near her.

Splashing About

Oct 20, 2019
The home has a resident with the coronavirus. I pretty much expected this because of the way they have not communicated and then said the manager would ring us.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp