Update re Alan

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Alan went to the hospital yesterday for a check up with regard to the corneal oedema and it is completely cleared up. He is now on the waiting list (4-6 weeks) for the other eye!!

Alan is up and down. In many ways he is fine and in many ways he is losing his abilities rapidly. The other day he asked me what a plug was for. Now he can't remember how to clean his shaver out. Yesterday he didn't know whether he had to tuck his jumper in his trousers or not. When I talk to him about the little things he recently understood (ie wash your face), he now has a blank look. When I ask him whether he understand (simple instruction) he most of the time says "no". He doesn't want to go out much now although he will go for a walk with the carer. He doesn't like coming shopping any more.

On the other hand, he was able to play draughts with the carer (although I suspect she heavily assisted him);) He was able to sweep up the leaves from the drive. He is able to wash and dry the dishes (although he sometimes uses the dish cloth to dry the dishes).

Love

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Helen:
It is good to read your update on Alan but sorry that you are seeing a decline in his understanding. It is so sad. However on the bright side he is still able to do some jobs around the house - how I wish David could. He so desperately wants to be useful but can hardly stand, cannot concentrate on anything and generally is living in a different world to the rest of us. :eek:

I am also pleased Alan's eye is clear and you are now waiting the 2nd one being done.

You must be thrilled that the 'carer' support is working well.
Love Jan

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s quite soul wrenching isn`t it Helen. Apart from cleaning out the electric shaver, are the majority of the skills Alan is losing language based?

And yet it`s strange he could even attempt to play draughts but not understand how to clean the shaver.

Try as we might we will never be able to understand the vagaries of this condition.

Dhiren asked for help yesterday. He was unable to use the electric juice squeezer. It is usually left plugged in as he uses it every day. I had used the food processor on the same plug and forgotten to unplug it. He didn`t know what to do.

Love xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Thanks Jan and Sylvia

are the majority of the skills Alan is losing language based?

No Sylvia. Alan is unable to problem solve. I have noticed that he is unable to do more and more things.

Hi Jan. I am thrilled with the sitting service but even the sitters don't see what I see because they don't know Alan. They all think he's wonderful (which he is) and easy to care for because they say so. You cannot tell by looking at Alan that there is anything wrong. When the sitters come Alan is dressed nicely and he is able to outwalk them all probably! I see the difference in him when he goes pale, shakey and has a blank look. The only other person to experience this with Alan is the son who takes him out on a Tuesday evening. Everyone, however, would experience not being able to easily understand what Alan is saying and also that he cannot easily understand what is being said.

Love

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Helen,

Good news about Alan's eye despite your concerns, and that they're going to do the other one in 4-6 weeks.

I'm sorry Alan is losing skills. The advice we had was to try and make my Dad do things as much as possible to retain those skills for as long as possible, however tempting it was to do it yourself because it was quicker and less stressful.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
You cannot tell by looking at Alan that there is anything wrong. When the sitters come Alan is dressed nicely and he is able to outwalk them all probably!

Oh Helen, that rings so many bells!

John was exactly like that for seven years, right up to his UTI. He was however night-incontinent, with occasional accidents during the day. And his language had almost completely gone.

Now he still looks good, but can't walk, talk or do anything for himself.

You just can't tell, can you?

Love,

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
ou cannot tell by looking at Alan that there is anything wrong

Dear Helen....Thanks for the update...:)

Like Hazel's John...if you saw Eric sitting in his chair...you'd think he was fine...and well..and healthy...

The sitters will get to know Alan...as time goes by they can be invaluable in pointing things we may not notice as we're with it 24/7

Good news about Alan's eye...

Love gigi xx

heartbroken

Feb 17, 2008
derbyshire
Hi Helen
good news about Alan's eye
sorry to hear he's forgeting how to do things as said before try to encouage him to try and do things as long as possible
take care xx