Update on mum.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
As you all know my mum is constipated, she has been for 9 days yet it took until last Friday for the right diagnosis to be found, anyway, she has been up and down to the toilet every 5 mins or so.
It got so bad last night (same time Ice Age was on, mum likes those films) I ended up calling NHS24 to see if I could take her down the road to the local hospital to see if they would give her an enema, response was we have no dealings with that hospital the one we deal with is about 20 miles away, I don't drive so getting her there was out of the question.
Next option was to wait for a district nurse to come out and give mum an enema, where in the house they would do it was beyond me, problem was it could take 4 hrs or more for them to come, what? Also the fact mum had taken her tablets (including queitapine) she would be asleep before they arrived, so that idea was abandoned.
Next I spoke to a Dr who suggested I increase her Laxido from 3 sachets to 4, this I went with and gave her another sachet before bed.
So far this morning she hasn't been running to the toilet and is off to daycare soon so I will have to call them and let them know whats going on.
I just hope the increase in the Laxido works quickly as I don't like seeing mum in pain, if nothing has worked by tomorrow I will take her to casualty at the local hospital.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Oh it is so stressful for you both

I hope your mum doesn't have a huge accident at the day centre! Or maybe that would be good :eek:

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
The last time I told them about the fact she used her hands when defecating (you know make sure she washed her hands and all that) I got a msg from the SW saying the daycare team had been in touch and that they couldn't watch my mum every time she went to the bathroom as they didn't have the staff, maybe not, but the CH where the daycare is held do. I was so annoyed that they went running to the SW with their concerns when they should come to me first, and I told them that.
I hope she doesn't have an accident, but she has a spare pad if she does.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
That must have been awful for you! Sometimes it feels what ever one does it seems to go wrong........Surely the day centre have other dementia patients??? Surely your mum can't be the only one with urine/poo problems???? :(

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Hopefully the problems mum have are temporary, but yes there are other dementia people at the daycare and in the CH where the daycare is held, so I don't see why there should be a problem?
Mum has just left and I have been cleaning the bathroom, I heard a noise so I went up (incase mum had fallen) but no here is faecal matter all over her hands the raised toilet seat, and worst of all was mum was cleaning the stuff off of her hands in the toilet. I asked her what she was doing, she said washing her hands, I mean I could see that but why in the toilet? I always mention to mum before she goes to the bathroom not to use her hands, she replies oh no I won't, I spent all day yesterday going up and down to the toilet with her to make sure she didn't, the one time I don't go and this happens!

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
How dreadful for you!! Problem is they don't remember anything seconds later do they?? I hope you have boxes of gloves, aprons etc. At least she's been but the work for you is horrendous :eek:

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I know but at least its starting to move, the colour doesn't look too good!
Nope no gloves, but they are top of my list, I have plenty of antibacterial wipes and hand gel for washing hands (thank you D****l) :)

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
What colour is it? Is it black or brown?? You really do need gloves++++++++ and special bags at hand..........:eek:

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Lets say it was more a beige colour, but I don't know whether that was its original form or from mum 'washing' her hands....there wasn't that much of it that the wipes couldn't handle.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Yep, i'm waiting for the flood gates to open (so to speak), at least mum knows when she needs the toilet just hope she can get there before anything happens :)

flowerpot

Jul 27, 2010
Rural North Northumberland
My MiL takes medication to help with her constipation and thankfully she is totally immobile so can't go on her own! I have a box of gloves just in case as sometimes there is quite a mess:eek: it actually beggars belief as she can't get off the toilet on her own but it can end up on the floor :confused: please don't mention hands :eek::rolleyes::(

fullmoon

May 22, 2013
What an awful time your mum and you have been having. Lets hope she has some relief today. X

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Pale stools are not a good sign

Please contact a doctor again. When I read that your mother had pale stools I found this worrying. They can be a symptom of 'Cholestasis' - where bile cannot flow from the gallbladder to the duodenum. The reasons for this happening are many, but a physical obstruction of the intestinal tract is one reason. Your mum may be severely constipated, but she may also have a different type of obstruction and the constipation is only part of this.

To just tell you to keep upping the dynamite is IMHO irresponsible. Your mum might have a serious medical condition that needs urgent treatment. Do not be afraid to cart her down to your local hospital and make a big fuss. It sounds to me as if she needs a hospital admission for tests and alleviation of her immediate discomfort.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
My MIL's poo is pale but then so is my hubbies. And it was mentioned that the colour could be because it is mixed with water. But if your mum is still very uncomfortable then you will need to get it sorted. Its such a lovely subject is it not?:eek:

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Its such a lovely subject is it not?

Descriptions so vivid and detailed I can almost smell it!!:eek::eek::D

(sorry couldn't resist...I know it is a serious matter really)

erian

Jun 10, 2013
That's awful, it must be hard for you.. I know how it feels.. I'm 13 and my dad has dementia. He is terminally ill, I hope things get better for you and your mum x

lilysmybabypup

May 21, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Oh, how upsetting for you, and your mum. Glad things are happening. Not sure if it's relevant, but some medications can contribute to constipation. It might be worth checking if adjustments can be made because additional complications like that are so overwhelming, especially when it starts to impede taking her out or getting your respite.

Dad had about a week without a motion recently and Mum was giving him all sorts of foods that were high in fibre. The most difficult thing was he constantly felt the urge and became so distressed thinking he would have an accident. His mobility and perception are so poor that poor Mum had a dreadful time getting him to the toilet and when he would get there finally, he asked her why he was there :( nothing would happen, so she would get him back out to the kitchen, and 15 minutes later it started all over again. This also went on multiple times through the night and poor Mum was run ragged getting him to the toilet with no results. He was also very irritable and difficult during these days, until finally he was able to go, usually about 3 visits, and then he was all happy again.

It started again the other day and I was there so I just let him stand up, I rubbed his back for a minute and told him to just see what happens and then the urge went away, he forgot he had wanted to go and I got him to sit down. It was such a production getting him that short way to the toilet and him either snapping at Mum asking why on earth she dragged him there (no more urge, no memory of it) or sitting and actually having no concept of the fact he was on a toilet. It seemed fruitless taking him every time if he didn't really end up going so that has made it a bit easier.

I'm so grateful there hasn't been the difficulty of a mess to make things worse. I don't know how you're coping, my hat is off to you.

I hope you can get things sorted so she doesn't end up having this happen constantly.

Stephanie, xxx

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Mums meds are ok, it was just the Laxido was stopped due to the antibiotics she was taking for the chest infection if she had continued with the two she would have had diahorrea so the Laxido was stopped. I wish I had continued with it and took the risk she would be ok, at least she wouldn't be constipated. The colour of the poo is more than likely due to the amount of laxative that is in the bowel or the fact she put her hands in water rather than something else (remember she got a clean bill of health a week or so ago), but I will keep an eye on it.
I have not had any phone calls from the daycare lot so more than likely mum has coped ok, but I will see when she gets home.
Yep, the descriptions are lovely, pity couldn't get the smell via your laptops/ I phones etc, but i'm sure you all know the fragrance anyway :)
If mum is still having problems i'll get her down to the health centre/ hospital tomorrow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shamel29