Up date on bed sore

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Hello again,
Spoke to Dad tonight and he said that the head nurse at the home spoke to him yesterday . Mum is being put to bed in the afternoon now to relieve the pressure on her bum. She has two red patches now between her buttocks. It is about a week like this. I thought stage 1 sores cleared pretty quickly. He seemed hedgy about the info. That is his way if he wants to keep me in the dark. I'm phoning the nursing home on Monday as usual to get an update.

I feel this is the start of the transition to being totally bed bound.

Thanks for listening.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
He probably just feels helpless. X

Yes, you are probably right. He tends to hid from problems with mum. I feel for him because I am his only family member apart from his brother who is 94yrs and has health problems too, and I don't live in the UK.

Thanks for the reply.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Yes, you are probably right. He tends to hid from problems with mum. I feel for him because I am his only family member apart from his brother who is 94yrs and has health problems too, and I don't live in the UK.

Thanks for the reply.
It is hard when living away. Your Dad will have a different perspective as a spouse, perhaps concentrating on him and his needs may help him be more open with you. He may feel guilty so gets on the defensive.
It is not easy for either of you. X

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi. It sounds as though your mum could do with a special airflow cushion for her seat and possibly airflow mattress too, they cleared up my pressure sore very quickly when I was in a rehab unit after breaking my hip @nd arm
Sorry I forget the name of them but I will put a link here,
My mum had the mattress when she was bedbound it really helped keep the pressure sores away after it helped heal them up

Last edited:

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
This is the sort of thing I mean, they do make them for chairs too, the home should be @ble to provide them.

Air alternating cushions, mattresses and overlays
image3_1.jpg

These are made of rows of air cells which inflate and deflate alternately or sequentially for a pre-set time period. This ensures that the pressure on any given point is changing continually, so that the pressure is completely removed from that point for a short period of time. Consequently, pressure is then increased over the other areas. Care must be taken to ensure that the user can tolerate these pressures.

The sequence of inflation and deflation is controlled by a pump which is usually mains powered. The interval of inflation and deflation can also be controlled on some models.

As with the static air cushions, they are unlikely to provide a stable base, and users may therefore need to consider their method of transfer.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
It is hard when living away. Your Dad will have a different perspective as a spouse, perhaps concentrating on him and his needs may help him be more open with you. He may feel guilty so gets on the defensive.
It is not easy for either of you. X

He is from the old school of thought where the man is the bread winner. He looked after mum for 10 yrs with alzhiemers. He's a funny old stick at times. :) he does have quite a few non - endearing qualities though. Parents!!

Thanks.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
This is the sort of thing I mean, they do make them for chairs too, the home should be @ble to provide them.

Air alternating cushions, mattresses and overlays
image3_1.jpg

These are made of rows of air cells which inflate and deflate alternately or sequentially for a pre-set time period. This ensures that the pressure on any given point is changing continually, so that the pressure is completely removed from that point for a short period of time. Consequently, pressure is then increased over the other areas. Care must be taken to ensure that the user can tolerate these pressures.

The sequence of inflation and deflation is controlled by a pump which is usually mains powered. The interval of inflation and deflation can also be controlled on some models.

As with the static air cushions, they are unlikely to provide a stable base, and users may therefore need to consider their method of transfer.

Air alternating cushions, mattresses and overlay

Sounds a great idea. Hopefully the nursing home has something like that. Will ask today.

Thanks for the info.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
He is from the old school of thought where the man is the bread winner. He looked after mum for 10 yrs with alzhiemers. He's a funny old stick at times. :) he does have quite a few non - endearing qualities though. Parents!!

Thanks.

10 years is a long time caring.

You know the poem by Philip Larkin, 'They fxxx you up, your mum and dad?
It ends with the warning not to have kids yourself?

I hope your Mum is sorted soon. X

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
10 years is a long time caring.

You know the poem by Philip Larkin, 'They fxxx you up, your mum and dad?
It ends with the warning not to have kids yourself?

I hope your Mum is sorted soon. X

Thanks. Forgot about that poem. Great one though. Mum is a bit better today. The red patches are
looking less angry.She had a food and liquid monitoring sheet due to refusal / low intake. See how thing roll this week. BFN

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Thanks. Forgot about that poem. Great one though. Mum is a bit better today. The red patches are
looking less angry.She had a food and liquid monitoring sheet due to refusal / low intake. See how thing roll this week. BFN
Good, it sounds as though they are dealing with issues. There is always something on this rollercoaster. X