Unexpected phone call

JMU

Feb 17, 2012
Cornwall
Should I find it amusing that 14 months since diagnosis, and repeated attempts to communicate with them I should get a phone call from social services this morning asking me if I would like a carer's assessment?
Perhaps I should have given up expecting help and gone solo a long time ago. It seems to be the one thing that has finally galavnised them into action. Only now they have no one reporting to them (since the last SW left and I decided not to bother getting another) do they seem to be worried about what might be happening here;)
Excuse the cynicism.

Rosie Webros

May 8, 2013
Oh my goodness. Don't talk to me about social services. When my sister and myself were trying to find a nursing home for dad, who had been in hospital for nine weeks, our social worker was one of the so-called 'invisibles'.

She was part-time and before dad went into hospital, I cried to her over the phone asking for help. Made no difference whatsoever. Once he was in hospital we did not hear from her again. My sister and myself found dad's home ourselves, even though the hospital staff couldn't believe that our social worker was not helping with this. Goodness knows what happened to her, now he is in a nursing home apparently he hasn't got a social worker anymore!

I am sure there are very good social workers out there and very helpful ones. (My mom-in-law was a good social worker before she retired). It's just I think they are very few and far between in my experience.

Good luck with it all. Rosie xx

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
I had something similar a few weeks ago. Someone from Adult Care Services rang to say Gordon should have an annual assessment of hisneeds!!!!

Their records showed we had had an OT out 2 years earlier!!!! This was true but only because I asked for it a few times.

Upshot is that really there is nothing they can offer me, except I got some info about a hospital bed which I may need soon.

This assessment took place at the weekend and lasted 2 hours. I asked why it was a Saturday and was told because many carers work so it is better to have them at weekend. I am 74 and my husband is 79 we have been retired many many years!!!

Extra money for unsocial hours methinks.

Jeannette