Understanding

Pusskins

Jun 6, 2020
New Zealand
My husband appears to understand what is said to him. He just seems to have problems in how he responds and speech in general. As is known with coma patients, although they are unconscious, they hear and record what was said in their subconscious. Is this possible with dementia patients?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband understood more than he could express @Pusskins He had word finding difficulties so his speech was reduced to short well used comments but prevented any form of what could have been seen as a discussion.

I think this is a normal progression in many people with dementia.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, my OH is saying less and less,but he understands what is said to him - he just can't hear properly. Even when he has heard, though, he usually won't say anything and just nods his head.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Yes, my OH is saying less and less,but he understands what is said to him - he just can't hear properly. Even when he has heard, though, he usually won't say anything and just nods his head.
Hi @canary I just wanted to know how your OH got on at hospital? Sorry if you already posted it and I missed it! Please just attach a link to that post if you did one, I don’t want to cause you writers cramp!

Hi @Pusskins , I think the answer is ‘ it depends’ as we know dementia is an umbrella terms that covers a number of different illnesses. What they all have in common is that they attack and kill the brain.
So I think it depends how and where it attacks the persons brain?
My mother turns the tv volume up way more than her ears require. I am sure it is an attempt to make sense of the information she Is being given.

DennyD

Dec 6, 2016
Porthcawl, South Wales
Whether a physical related matter or not, I like to think that deep down there are times when my husband does show signs of understanding. And that brings me comfort for a short time and a sense of connection between us.

spandit

Feb 11, 2020
Sounds like my father isn't as far down the dementia route as some on here but often he won't respond. He has heard, but can't process the information or doesn't realise that he needs to react/answer.

oldboy

Mar 28, 2021
my wife is pretty much the same i could ask questions that were just yes or no answers and i would just get a blank look so i didnt know if she didnt understand or just couldnt process sometimes it was just silence or she would talk about something entirely different to what was being asked.