Understanding Dementia course University of Tasmania

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
This highly regarded twice-yearly course from the Wicking Dementia Centre at the University of Tasmania has just begun and it's not too late to enrol. It lasts for 7 weeks and demands 3 hours or so of your time each week. I've seen several favourable reports of the course on Talking Point.

Pejic

Jul 2, 2022
course from the Wicking Dementia Centre at the University of Tasmania

I am following this course and while it is a good presentation of the conventional view of dementia from the conventional viewpoint of ignoring any input from people suffering from dementia, treating us as dumb animals to be 'cared' for (according to their idea of what care we want), I am finding it increasingly frustrating.

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
I think this is an excellent course for those wishing to understand dementia. I suggest that knowledge gained from this course will help in the application and development of care packages that do encourage discourse and ultimately improvements in care/services.

My carer found it of immense value

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I think this is an excellent course for those wishing to understand dementia. I suggest that knowledge gained from this course will help in the application and development of care packages that do encourage discourse and ultimately improvements in care/services.

My carer found it of immense value

I agree totally. I did this course and another of their while my husband was alive and I found them incredibly helpful.

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
I am following this course too and finding it very informative if a bit challenging at times, as expected for someone whose brain isn't working at 100%. I believe the final third of the course concentrates on the PWD so do persevere, Pejic!

Pejic

Jul 2, 2022
thanks because I have finished the first three phases of the course course and now await the finalization on the 30th of March, as you say the third section purported to concentrate on the PWD, but there were no PWD involved in it, though there was one somewhat insightful contribution from a professor from Manchester, but I don't think he managed to persuade his interlocutor of his viewpoint.
It must be said that my expectations were pretty low when the initial introductions to the people involved, did not include anyone actually living with dementia.

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
It must be said that my expectations were pretty low when the initial introductions to the people involved, did not include anyone actually living with dementia.
They do ask for comments and suggestions about the course so you could point this out. They seem to have taken on board criticisms about lack of info on young onset dementia as it's well covered now. I haven't got as far as you. I was really impressed with what the person representing Australia's keyworker system had to say. How admirable. Just the kind of support so many PWD and their carers (if they have one - it seems taken for granted all PWD have carers of some sort ) are crying out for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfly