Trying to find a life alert system.

fiftyslost

Mar 26, 2024
Hi to everyone. My wife and I are 82. Her dementia was diagnosed a year and a half ago. She is unable to care for herself and can't be left alone but for short times. My worry now is if for some reason I should become unresponsive for any reason that she would not know how to call for help. Some of the systems I looked at would call 911 but she is not able to tell them where she lives. She can just barely verbalize what she wants or needs. It is getting harder to understand what she is trying to say. I have VOIP for home phone and most units require a land line. Some units work with a mobile phone which I have but comes back to the problem of her not being able to communicate. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2ndAlto

Nov 23, 2012
Hello fiftyslost, welcome to the forum. I know what you mean - I worry if I fall down the stairs or yes, as you say, become unresponsive, will my husband be able to call for help? It is a worry. I found this online https://silentbeacon.com/ which might be of some help to you? I'm guessing you are in the States? That's the first one I looked at, there are probably lots more options available. Dementia US might have some suggestions too. https://www.dementiasociety.org/

fiftyslost

Mar 26, 2024
Hi 2ndAlto. Thank you so much for responding. Yes I am in the US and in Illinois. The silent beacon looks to be what I'm looking for. I'm going to do a mockup first to see if she would know to even push the button and unlock the door. I may have to use my last option of getting her in to care home. Again I thank you.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
In the UK you can get a pendant alarm. If you press it an alert goes to a central point and if nobody answers they send round an ambulance. You need a key safe outside the house. You can nominate local contacts who have a key and can go round to check if the person is alright. I was the contact of a neighbour who had a heart condition and lived alone. These services are run by private companies and you pay a small fee for them. Of course, you would have to make sure that you had the alarm with you at all times and you would have to be able to press it.

Cerisy

Jun 9, 2021
My iWatch has a fall detection facility that will ring emergency services if you don’t respond or switch it off. Yes, you need an iPhone of course, but could be your answer???

Andrea.

Jan 22, 2024
Hi, we have installed a key safe on the property with a key inside for emergencies. It was installed nearly a year ago and we just started to use it a couple of weeks ago for when Mum is unable to unlock the door to Carers coming in. Equally it can be used in an emergency and you could give the emergency services the number over the phone.

Care agencies in the UK have a 'sitting' service whereby you can pop out and your Mum can be with someone else. It might delay the step to residential care a little and start to get her used to having other people supporting her. Just a thought. 😊

We have also installed Ring security cameras at strategic places around the house and outside so you can take a quick look when you are out. I find that very reassuring to check my 83 year old Mum has not had a fall etc.

All the best to you and all carers.

fiftyslost

Mar 26, 2024
Thank you to everyone that responded. I have a much clearer thought of how to proceed. Thanks again.

2ndAlto

Nov 23, 2012
Hi 2ndAlto. Thank you so much for responding. Yes I am in the US and in Illinois. The silent beacon looks to be what I'm looking for. I'm going to do a mockup first to see if she would know to even push the button and unlock the door. I may have to use my last option of getting her in to care home. Again I thank you.
After I posted that reply I thought on it a bit further and I think you are probably right, your loved one might well have forgotten about that new red button - especially in an emergency situation. I occasionally regret getting rid of the old landline phone as I think my OH would have been quite capable of calling 000 (as we have down here for emergencies) but a new emergency button will have been completely forgotten.

Andrea.

Jan 22, 2024
Apologies @fiftieslost, I thought you were caring for your Mum. I misread your message. Wishing you all the best in your decisions.