1. Welcome to Talking Point - an online community for everyone who is affected by dementia. Whether you have dementia or know someone who does, we will be there for you.

    Sign up to join the community, or Log in if you're already a member.

    If you need help using Talking Point, read our Help pages or contact us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

  2. Hi everyone, Talking Point is back! We’ve updated the software in order to improve security, design, and the way the community works, and introduced some helpful features.

    Find out more

Trouble getting up

Discussion in 'Younger people with dementia and their carers' started by LynneMcV, Dec 9, 2016.

  1. LynneMcV

    LynneMcV Volunteer Moderator

    May 9, 2012
    south-east London
    Well, it's been an interesting night (and morning)!

    All was good when hubby went to bed around 9pm last night - he was in particularly good spirits, laughing and happy. The only thing that had been particularly marked about his day was that around 4.30pm he had started to get irritated and wanted to go for a walk (in the cold and dark).

    It wasn't even that much to talk about - we are quite used to the whole sundowning thing now. Fortunately my son was home so he took his dad for a walk around the block and to buy some sweets and papers while I finished off things for work.

    As I said, hubby was happy and laughing going to bed and sleeping soundly when I went up at midnight.

    Around 2am I became aware of him fidgeting, huffing and puffing. He didn't want to go to the loo, but he couldn't explain what the problem was.

    Each time I asked he just replied "something".

    After about an hour of fidgeting and sighing he drifted back off to sleep. It started up again at 7am.

    As it was time to get up anyway I pulled the cover back gently for him so he could get up - but he just lay there looking confused. He seemed to have forgotten how to sit up, swing his legs around to the floor etc. It took 30mins of gentle coaxing before we got him sitting up. It dawned on me that all the fidgeting and huffing in the early hours was probably because he wanted to change position but couldn't.

    He looked extremely confused as he sat on the edge of the bed. It almost looked like he was in pain from just thinking, his face all screwed up and saying "What do I do?" over and over.

    After another 20mins, with my help, he managed to get to his feet and walk slowly to the toilet, with me close at hand. However, when he had finished on the loo he was totally lost about how to stand up again. The grab rails meant nothing to him. Mostly he sat with his head in his hands or looking at his legs, not quite sure what to make of them.

    Another 10 minutes of gentle coaxing went by with me trying to gently support him into some standing position (and him complaining that I was hurting him) - and eventually he was on his feet.

    He slowly walked to the bathroom and surprisingly was able to step into the bath for his usual shower (though of course I was there just in case he needed support). I helped him get dry afterwards and it was as if he had lost his centre of gravity. The lightest of pats or touches with the towel made him sway back and forth uncontrollably to the point where I though he would fall down altogether.

    He was able to shave and clean his teeth after I set things up, and I helped him dress (which is normal). By the time he was dressed he seemed more 'with it' and I am glad to say he was able to walk downstairs.

    He has now had breakfast, meds and a cuppa and seems his normal self. I thought I might need to cancel him attending a Christmas party today but he says he feels fine to go.

    It's all come and gone so suddenly - maybe it will happen again, maybe not. This disease certainly keeps us carers on our toes!
  2. Grannie G

    Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

    Apr 3, 2006
    I sympathise with you Lynne because this stage with Dhiren would come and go and I could never be sure when.

    He had particular difficulty getting up from the table after our evening meal. He was fine after breakfast and lunch but many a time after dinner he just didn`t know how to rise to his feet. I often had to phone our son for help.

    The other significant difficulty was walking along the hall using grab rails. He ould move his hand along the rail rather than his feet.

    I`m not saying your hubby will follow this path because we all know everyone is different. I just want you to be aware this might happen.

    It`s such a worry.
  3. CeliaThePoet

    CeliaThePoet Registered User

    Dec 7, 2013
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    Maybe a UTI?
  4. irismary

    irismary Registered User

    Feb 7, 2015
    West Midlands
    Nowhere near as bad but on Monday my husband did not seem to want to get out of bed. Difficult to say if he didn't want to as it was still dark outside or if he didn't know what to do. He kept saying he would get up but just didn't. This morning we were late waking up and he got straight out of bed for me. Most odd.
  5. LynneMcV

    LynneMcV Volunteer Moderator

    May 9, 2012
    south-east London
    #5 LynneMcV, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    Thanks Sylvia, Celia and IrishMary.

    I did do a urine test for hubby but all seems clear but I will do another over the weekend.

    Today's Christmas party went very well - but about four hours into it hubby needed the loo and it happened again, he forgot how to stand.

    It was quite difficult because the hall was noisy and crowded so he couldn't hear any of my coaxing and encouragement. It took about 5mins to get him to his feet. He managed the loo fine, and although there were grab rails around, he was able to stand up from sitting on the loo completely unaided.

    We went home soon after that and he managed getting in and out of the car just fine.

    I am glad I purchased a riser/ recliner for him earlier this year 'just in case' - I think I might be using it sporadically now.

    As you say Sylvia, it is the not knowing when it will strike.

    IrishMary, funnily enough my husband also stayed in bed much longer than normal earlier this week (Wednesday). It was all a bit odd because I asked him if he wanted to sleep in as we didn't need to go anywhere. That was 7am and he said yes. He was still in bed at 10.30am so I went to check on him.

    He looked extremely peeved when I entered the room. He said he'd been wanting to get up for ages (he usually just gets up when he is ready to). Looking back, maybe that is when it started - though once I was in the room with him he got himself out of bed unaided (albeit very slowly, which I put down to him still being tired).

    Hopefully he will have a more restful night tonight :)

Share This Page