trimming finger nails

lamplady

Aug 16, 2007
hi as a newbee, i was wondrering if any body has some advise on how to trim the dreaded finger and toe nails with the least amount on stress.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi lamplady, welcome to TP.

Finger nails, always difficult, yells at the slightest touch!:eek:

Toenails -- have a word with GP, ask for a referral to podiatry. John gets his cut every three month, by which time they're almost through his shoes, but he also gets minor foot problems dealt with.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hello lamplady, and warm welcome.

Personally I find with Lionel it depends on the mood at the time.

I try to give him a nice hand massage, with warm oils (he hates the cold) and then judge if it is a good day to trim. (I did them this afternoon)

Lionel has always had to have his feet seen to, as he is a diabetic. When he was at home, and the chiropodist visited I found Lionel was never as upset with him..They used to have a joke together.

These days he is never so amenable, but I always check his feet and massage them, so I think the visiting chiropodist is coping O.K.

janetruth

Mar 20, 2007
nuneaton
Hello Lamplady

Welcome to TP, I can only say that I would not attempt to cut Mums nails, so I have the Chiropodist every 5 or 6 weeks and my sister does Mums fingernails once a month.
Mum is VERY well behaved for both of them and it makes her feel special and it's less stressful for her.

Take Care bye for now
Janetruth x

paris07

Jul 11, 2007
australia
Hi Lamplady,
I welcome you also to TP I know from experience with my mothers toe nails after 2years of trying to look after them myself and suffering a lot more stress than my mother ( I feel) . I talked her into seeing a podietrist only last week and I can tell you it is the only way. She performed a little at first but seemed to be quite calm when the lady podietrist talked to her and said it would not hurt.

I have now made appointment for 3 months .
All the best
paris07:)

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I, too, have my mother seen every 2 months by a chiropodist. I think it's the easiest way for everyone.

As for the fingernails, is it possible to take her for a manicure? First of course, explaining your problem & seeing if the salon could cope with it. And really, not to have her cuticles worked on or anything like that but massaging her hands & clipping her nails. A coat of nail polish might perk her up also.

The home my mother is in has a manicure session done every so often by volunteers. She used to love having her ail polish done. I found this quite amusing as my mother NEVER wore nail polish when she was well. Now she is past that stage so the personal care aides do it.

You'll figure something out :)

Joanne

poppet

Aug 3, 2007
hi, just read this thread...thought the whole do it through a podiatrist/chiropodist was encouraging for my future career!!!:D

just to add that everyones nails (both fingers and toes) grow at different rates and can alter depending on other changes brought about by medication, age etc. so bascially my advice is to keep a mental note or put a date on the calendar and see when you think they need doing again.

another suggestion for those with sensitive nails is to maintain weekly with a file...this works with both fingers and toes!

finally, 'help the aged' also have links to podiatrists/chiropdists...so maybe worth investigation as these people are probably trained to deal with all sorts?

poppet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5