Travelling with an Alzheimer's sufferer

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
We don`t mention the F A T word in our household either, and we don`t have any pets, just two humans. ;)

okmurrays

Oct 17, 2007
kelowna, bc, canada
Molly graciously accepts your apologies! She doesn't mind having a beard really, it keeps her chops warm in these cold Okanagan mornings (can see snow on the tops today). She had an op to be 'fixed' two weeks ago and is convalescing nicely, looking forward to a bath this week as she is a bit 'whiffy'.

I think pups should be available on the NHS - she can make anyone smile. Although she is going through a phase of kleptomania. She'll steal anything. Sneaked off with a friend's handbag from under the table the other day, has had more tea towels than I care to remember and loves trying to grab a can of beer....she's not destructive, just likes trotting round with them with her tail up. 'Look at me, look at me'. Then, last night about 3am she decided she wanted to go out onto the deck, we heard lots of scrabbling noises and there she was, attempting to pull down the door handle...:)

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I had a dog who could open sliding doors. She didn't even need a gap to start: she'd stand up, put her feet on the side of the door, angle her body so she was pushing at an angle, and that would result in a gap big enough to stick her nose in, and from then on it just took brute force.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
okmurrays said:
I think pups should be available on the NHS - she can make anyone smile. Although she is going through a phase of kleptomania. She'll steal anything. Sneaked off with a friend's handbag from under the table the other day, has had more tea towels than I care to remember and loves trying to grab a can of beer....she's not destructive, just likes trotting round with them with her tail up. 'Look at me, look at me'. )

I agree that pups should be available on the NHS!:)

Your Molly sounds just like my Skye. Every tea towel and kitchen towel has four very attractive fringed corners where she's chewed the hems off.

Her favourite game when John had carers coming in was to sneak round behing their chair and help herself to the contents of their handbags.

She's such fun, I don't know what I'd do without her.

okmurrays

Oct 17, 2007
kelowna, bc, canada
I agree. Dogs and kids can be a real tonic. I speak to my dad on the phone as much as possible and he always remembers what Jenny, my daughter, and Molly the puppy have been doing. He'd love to see her.
I got an update on my dad from my sister this morning. She took my parents away overnight to the Cotswolds. Dad keeps fiddling with things. He managed to open a fire door at the museum they visited, and the child locks had to go on in the car because he kept trying to fiddle with the levers.
Doesn't bode well if he was on a nine hour flight.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I'm afraid 'fiddling' goes with the territory, and as you say, could be a problem on the flight. Attention span tends to be short, too, so any activity would only keep him occupied for a short time. A tranquilliser may be the best option.

John has already worked out how to lock his room from the inside, has had the light bulb out (he's tall enough to reach), and goes in and out of other people's rooms, and if the bed is empty, lies down and goes to sleep there.

It's not just puppies that keep us on our toes!:D