Travelling and going on holiday - any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Do you have any tips for other people with dementia about travelling and going on holiday?

Has there been something that's helped you plan what you'll be doing?

Something that's made the actual journey a better experience, or something that's helped make sure you can do things you enjoy while you're there?

Or perhaps something that’s helped you to settle back into things after you’ve returned home?

We’d love to share your advice with readers of our magazine, Dementia together - please email magazine@alzheimers.org.uk before 3 May.

Thanks everyone :)

PeteMid

Hi Harriet. Forward planning!
I'm off on a week's holiday in Wales next moth. I'll be driving myself (I am still driving 5 years after diagnosis).
I have done some serious study about what to expect on the route, the accommodation and the itinerary and now I'm confident that I can relax and enjoy the adventure.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Brilliant advice, thanks @PeteMid - it sounds like forward planning has been important for you. I'm glad you feel confident that you can relax and enjoy the adventure after preparing for it :) Hope you have a lovely week in Wales!

velademar

Generally still trying to go away with my OH who has frontotemporal dementia, however getting harder as his mobility is now poor and night time incontinence is tricky. He sings a lot. He also gets lost and confused in strange places. I usually book an accessible room if available, so getting to the loo at night is easier, I take a motion activated light to put near the loo/bathroom so he can see his way in the night. We always wear sunflower lanyards so people know to perhaps expect unusual behaviour, and we try and eat in family type restaurants where children are around so we dont stand out so much if he drops something on the floor from the table. And plenty of loo stops on the way when we are driving anywhere. All sounds hard work doesn't it, but sadly its either these things or stay at home.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Thanks @velademar, I'm very sorry to hear that your OH's mobility is poor and that the night time incontinence is tricky to deal with. You've given some great suggestions to help with the confusion in new places, and to allow you both to still get outside.

I'll close this thread now - thanks to you both for such brilliant tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aoifek23