Transport

Broadwaylass

Mar 19, 2024
Hello, I have just joined the group and am looking for some advice.
My partner has dementia and is in a care home just outside London. I live in Edinburgh and spend much of my time travelling to see him.
I am hoping to get him into a care home in Scotland but am at a loss as to how to arrange transport. Train and plane are not appropriate so I need some means of car transport. I will travel with him but would want some support for the 400 mile journey - especially with comfort breaks etc.
Has anyone else had a similar problem?
Any sharing of ideas gratefully received

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome, personally I can't help, however, someone on here will.
London to Edinburgh is a bit of a trip, 800 miles round trip for someone, that said one lift south to north and a different person does the trip back north to south.
You'd be surprised at what the people on here can get done when you need help. K

Broadwaylass

Mar 19, 2024
Hello and welcome, personally I can't help, however, someone on here will.
London to Edinburgh is a bit of a trip, 800 miles round trip for someone, that said one lift south to north and a different person does the trip back north to south.
You'd be surprised at what the people on here can get done when you need help. K
Thank you. I will ask in the care home - there may be an agency that can help - but there's nothing obvious that I can find

backin

Feb 6, 2024
You can hire a private ambulance depending on his needs they can use a chair or stretcher.
Not sure of cost.
Uber may provide a quote for a journey.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Broadwaylass and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. I don't have direct experience of the situation you describe but I know that other members have done similar things. Hopefully they'll be able to help.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Broadwaylass and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. Some members on here have used private ambulances but i believe that they are expensive.

Broadwaylass

Mar 19, 2024
You can hire a private ambulance depending on his needs they can use a chair or stretcher.
Not sure of cost.
Uber may provide a quote for a journey.
Thank you. I'm ploughing through various things on the Internet. It seems relatively easy to find someone to drive a car but not so easy to get a carer as well. I will persevere.

backin

Feb 6, 2024
Thank you. I'm ploughing through various things on the Internet. It seems relatively easy to find someone to drive a car but not so easy to get a carer as well. I will persevere.
Ambulance came with driver and assistant. Don't know if st Johns do the same. It's not the cheapest but not expensive when thought of in weekly care home payments

Broadwaylass

Mar 19, 2024
Hi @Broadwaylass and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. I don't have direct experience of the situation you describe but I know that other members have done similar things. Hopefully they'll be able to help.
I have managed the transfer. I used a company called Driving Miss Daisy- absolutely amazing. Really brilliant driver - experienced with dementia and long distance. If anyone else needs this sort of help I can only suggest that you try your local franchise first.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
I have managed the transfer. I used a company called Driving Miss Daisy- absolutely amazing. Really brilliant driver - experienced with dementia and long distance. If anyone else needs this sort of help I can only suggest that you try your local franchise first.
That's brilliant news. and I hope the transfer to the new care home in Scotland works well and that your partner settles well too.