train travel with Alzheimer's patient

RN131

Sep 25, 2010
Cyprus
Hallo. I would like to take a cruise from Barcelona in early September. I would need to take a train from Malaga to Barcelona (AVE high speed, nearly six hour journey). We would travel first class with one suitcase, one backpack and one overnight bag maximum. How best to cope as patient elderly and needs w.c. frequently? Thanks

Last edited:

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Is this a necessary trip or a holiday? I know several members here who have successfully traveled with their loved ones but it is certainly dependent on the status of the person's disease.

I myself would not be taking any trips except for those which are necessary. I think the potential for the person to be constantly confused is too high.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
OH is incontinent and needs to be near a loo. He also gets bored easily and starts drumming his hands on the table. I remember a stressful journey back from Edinburgh where our quiet carriage filled up more and more and got louder until people were standing in the gangway blocking access to the toilet. I wowed from then on always to book First Class if it was affordable.
In contrast, when we went to the Vitalise Centre for holiday in March, we had an uneventful 3 hour trip but I confess that I don't really look forward to train travel anymore and won't do it for the fun of it anymore unless the journey isn't very long.

Book seats near the toilet and take lots of distractions with you like simple games or puzzles,plus snacks. Basically, plan as if you were going away with a toddler.

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
Train Journeys

Just got back from 5.5 hour journey with one change. Although at different stage to you and with two accompanying adults.

All fine. Worry points were. Person worrying about their luggage. Make sure luggage is in sight if poss. We worked on trying to acquire a memory of the journey over the two months before hand. He had a 'programme' typed out saying what would happen on what day which was clearly valued.

Getting on and off could potentially be difficult with just one person ..being left behind. Make sure person has yr mobile contact details on them just in case this happens. We do the getting on and off sandwich.

The journey was a trip back to childhood home town so was definitely in best interests of the person.

Toilet on standard class was a bit grim. You would want a lot of wipes to wipe toilet before use. He didn't drink v much on journey so I had to make sure he got enough water once we were off train.

People with dementia are part of the landscape. Others have to 'get over it'.

ASH74

May 18, 2014
Travelled with my son who is a wheelchair user (different I know but.....) it may be worth discussing with travel agent /train company your difficulties. For wheelchair users on journeys to France you are in 1st class but only pay the standard fare also 1 carer goes free (I think ....or maybe standard fare also?!).

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
I'm guessing there is a good reason but can you not fly to Barcelona or do you live in Malaga?

Sorry just realised you will be coming from Cyprus

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACampbell