Tracking Watch

Mazboy

Aug 8, 2023
Hi all, my dad was diagnosed a few years back and as expected slowly getting worse, so much so he has started wandering out alone and forgetting his mobile which was how we use to track him.

We are therefore contemplating buying him a watch (and reminding him to wear it) and tell him it's for health monitoring.

There seem to be 100's of these types of devices with all sorts of bells and whistles starting at £50 and go up to thousands if you included the monthly subscription fees, etc.

I've tried to search on this and other forums to get some ideas of models used by others but there doesn't seem to be much out there.

So what i'm looking for is anyone used a watch tracker and found it useful and could recommend one please.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Mazboy and welcome. I don't have personal experience of a tracker watch so can't comment on how effective they are but if your dad is wandering out alone and forgetting his mobile it does sound as though he is at risk. Would he remember to wear a watch and will someone be able to react quickly enough when he goes out to ensure that he is safe? There have been various threads here regarding trackers (see below) which may be worth a read if you haven't seen these already, and forum members who have experience of trackers will hopefully be along to offer advice about how useful they are. It would also be a good idea to complete a 'Herbert Protocol form' with your dad's local Police in case he goes missing. The form in the link below is from the Met Police but other forces have something similar. Hope this helps.

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/search/388102/?q=watch+tracker&o=relevance

bigmo

Aug 4, 2021
St Albans
Hi all, my dad was diagnosed a few years back and as expected slowly getting worse, so much so he has started wandering out alone and forgetting his mobile which was how we use to track him.

We are therefore contemplating buying him a watch (and reminding him to wear it) and tell him it's for health monitoring.

There seem to be 100's of these types of devices with all sorts of bells and whistles starting at £50 and go up to thousands if you included the monthly subscription fees, etc.

I've tried to search on this and other forums to get some ideas of models used by others but there doesn't seem to be much out there.

So what i'm looking for is anyone used a watch tracker and found it useful and could recommend one please.

bigmo

Aug 4, 2021
St Albans
Hello @Mazboy I have the same problem as you. My other half wouldn't tolerate something round his neck, or a bracelet, but a watch is more purposeful. I am currently investigating a GPS 4G tracker watch from Ubeequee, about £60. The person can be tracked in real time with mapping, by up to three phones. It doesn't have all the other paraphernalia of heart rate and how many steps, etc. It does have two way calling and help button. I haven't ordered it yet but it seems to fit the purpose. A big concern is how long the battery lasts if the tracker is live all day. My husband doesn't 'wander' as such, but gets very clear ideas in his head of a mission he needs to do something about, so it would need to be on most of the day as I don' always notice him leaving. He had such a journey last week and had walked about 1-2 miles along a busy lane where the police picked him up. They recommended an Apple Airtag, but that isn't a tracker in real time - it's a locator e.g. for a car, or luggage. And it works on Bluetooth availability not GPS.

I too would welcome recommendations for alternatives, or comments on the Ubeequee one before I go ahead.

clarkoliverjason

Feb 18, 2023

Hi i have had a similar problem. i use two different types of "trackers" one i put in my mums handbag and the other hangs around her neck which i can call her on. the problem of course is she wont always be wearing it and it needs to be charged. what i did was to connect a door sensor ( AQara £20 plus hub £50 +/-) and this connects to alexa speakers which prompts the rest of the house. it also sends me an sms and shows video of the front door. The only other gadget i have seen is gps soles which are put into shoes. i know this all sounds like a lot of money but what i am aways trying out new ways ....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teritaz333