Tracker that can't be taken off

Scotslassie

Apr 15, 2023
Hi, we are at the start of wandering phase.

Looking for advice on how to deal with that as we are not local to person with dementia.

Looking for a tracker/alert system to notify when they are leaving the house. A phone/communication system that they may actually use or we can check in remotely with.

With some kind of tracker, the problem we are facing is that they don't have anything they carry out all the time with them and they may not wear a watch. Is there a bracelet of some sort that we can get them that is on permanently, is waterproof and they can't take off?

All help/tips/advice welcome.

Thanks

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @Scotslassie and welcome to this forum from me! You will find us a very supportive and friendly bunch of people who have first hand experience of all the various aspects of dementia. As Izzy has said above, someone will I'm sure, be able to help with some suggestions about trackers. It's a worry for sure when a loved one is in 'wandering mode'. Take care.

Scotslassie

Apr 15, 2023
Hello @Scotslassie and welcome to this forum from me! You will find us a very supportive and friendly bunch of people who have first hand experience of all the various aspects of dementia. As Izzy has said above, someone will I'm sure, be able to help with some suggestions about trackers. It's a worry for sure when a loved one is in 'wandering mode'. Take care.
Thank you. A warm welcome is very much appreciated. :)

Scotslassie

Apr 15, 2023
Welcome to the forum @Scotslassie.

Quite a few threads on the forum about trackers. Someone will probably be along to respond to your specific question but in the meantime this link should taken you to other threads about trackers -
Thank you! I'll go check it out. Thanks for the message :)

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
Hi, we are at the start of wandering phase.

Looking for advice on how to deal with that as we are not local to person with dementia.

Looking for a tracker/alert system to notify when they are leaving the house. A phone/communication system that they may actually use or we can check in remotely with.

With some kind of tracker, the problem we are facing is that they don't have anything they carry out all the time with them and they may not wear a watch. Is there a bracelet of some sort that we can get them that is on permanently, is waterproof and they can't take off?

All help/tips/advice welcome.

Thanks
Hi. I don’t know if you have sorted this but after many hours and many contacts, I have gone with a ring doorbell which shows when my husband leaves and returns. I have also (following suggestions from someone on my thread) bought an Apple Watch which I am going to put on the Find My app. This means I am notified by the bell when he goes out and if he is not back in 15 minutes I can go and check where he is. I have ordered the watch with cellular so that it can be used as a phone without a phone being near and I can ring him and speak to him if he’s outside his usual area. I did buy a watch tracker designed for the purpose but it just doesn’t do what it should. Hope that helps.

Rubina

Dec 19, 2019
Hello Scotslassie, I have an Apple AirTag with a clip which I clip through my OH belt loop at the back. I get alerts on my ’find my’ app on my iPhone. This works really well for me, he is totally unaware of it, though he did ask once and I said it had important medical information. He seemed quite ok with that, and because he can’t see it ,has never asked again. Hope you find something that suits your situation.

KarenW23

Aug 19, 2023
Lincs
Hello Scotslassie, I have an Apple AirTag with a clip which I clip through my OH belt loop at the back. I get alerts on my ’find my’ app on my iPhone. This works really well for me, he is totally unaware of it, though he did ask once and I said it had important medical information. He seemed quite ok with that, and because he can’t see it ,has never asked again. Hope you find something that suits your situation.
@Rubina do the Apple air tags work at a distance? My mum keeps misplacing her keys and it’s getting very expensive having several pairs cut. My brother lives with her but I live 50 odd miles away. So looking for something we can both use to track.

KarenW23

Aug 19, 2023
Lincs
Thank you. I am going to do this, I’ll ring them as I can’t download the Lancs form in my iPad.
Thank you @nitram for sharing information about the Herbert protocol, I’d never heard of it so googled it along with the county my mum is from and voila, there’s a form. Thank you so much.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@Rubina do the Apple air tags work at a distance? My mum keeps misplacing her keys and it’s getting very expensive having several pairs cut. My brother lives with her but I live 50 odd miles away. So looking for something we can both use to track.
Air tag sends a Bluetooth signal to any apple device within ~10m.
This device sends location to iCloud, you use Find My app to see map of location

Air Tag works at any distance as long as there is a nearby device to receive Bluetooth signal

KarenW23

Aug 19, 2023
Lincs
Air tag sends a Bluetooth signal to any apple device within ~10m.
This device sends location to iCloud, you use Find My app to see map of location

Air Tag works at any distance as long as there is a nearby device to receive Bluetooth signal
Thanks so my mum has an iPhone which is connected to our family account. So if I get air rages they will ‘talk’ to her phone as it will ‘should’ be in same house and then it will link to me via iCloud? So I’ll be able to see location if whatever we attach too? Is that correct?