Tough few years - outside support and support groups for younger carers?

Patto

Aug 10, 2023
Hello,

Well, the last 10 years have been difficult.

Working with my own mental health problems (being treated for long term depression, anxiety and OCD).

Being diagnosed with advanced cancer and undergoing intensive chemotherapy and radiotherapy treatment.

Bereavement - my father, who I also supported, suffered from schizophrenia and died suddenly and unexpectedly 6 years ago.

And I have been supporting a parent with dementia for 4 and a half years.

I was in my 30s when I started looking after Mum, but am now in my early 40s. It has certainly felt like life has passed me by.

I want to continue being her full time carer, but am interested in any recommended outside support to give me a bit more of a break.

If anyone has any pointers or leads about caring circles/ talking spaces for younger carers, I'd love any info.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Patto

You certainly have had a rough time and are still having one by the sound of your post.

You really could use some time for yourself.

Have a look at this link to see if you can access some local support.

Essexsearcher

Sep 2, 2023
Hello,

Well, the last 10 years have been difficult.

Working with my own mental health problems (being treated for long term depression, anxiety and OCD).

Being diagnosed with advanced cancer and undergoing intensive chemotherapy and radiotherapy treatment.

Bereavement - my father, who I also supported, suffered from schizophrenia and died suddenly and unexpectedly 6 years ago.

And I have been supporting a parent with dementia for 4 and a half years.

I was in my 30s when I started looking after Mum, but am now in my early 40s. It has certainly felt like life has passed me by.

I want to continue being her full time carer, but am interested in any recommended outside support to give me a bit more of a break.

If anyone has any pointers or leads about caring circles/ talking spaces for younger carers, I'd love any info.

Essexsearcher

Sep 2, 2023
Hello Patto
You could start with contacting your local authority for a carers assessment, carers assessments are free to anyone who request one. They should be able to provide information about groups in your area and provide support to you with your caring role