Tough Day

BeeBeeDee

Apr 19, 2023
Wow today has been a tough one. With a husband who is still high functioning so not in need of carers or respite.
I had decided today I would make a list of the things that he struggled with.
The list goes on and on and on and I am exhausted from repeating myself over and over and over.
He behaves like there is nothing wrong with him, and can do alot of tasks, but with lots of guidance from me. He doesnt like that i tell him what to do all the time but if I dont tell him what to do he doesnt know.
He complained how hot he was and went inside and put a pair of socks and a shirt on over his t shirt, he didnt understand when I was trying to tell him and then got annoyed with me telling me he could wear what he wants.
He complained how thirsty he was and that he needed something in his mouth, he went to the fridge and got out milk, I asked him not to drink it as we only just had enough left till we are at the shops tomorrow, he had no idea what else he could have "in his mouth" - water, squash, coke, lemonade, orange juice, cup of tea or coffee - plenty on offer but he would only have milk.
He walked in some dog poo that we had missed picking up in our garden, proceeded to walk all over the newly laid patio leaving poo prints as he went and could not understand to stand still and take his shoes off.
Well the list goes on that is 3 things out of over 20.
I am shattered by it.
Thankfully he is now sat watching TV and loves Coronation Street so will be happy that it is on tonight.

RM3

Feb 4, 2024
Wow today has been a tough one. With a husband who is still high functioning so not in need of carers or respite.
The list goes on and on and on and I am exhausted from repeating myself over and over and over.
He behaves like there is nothing wrong with him, and can do alot of tasks, but with lots of guidance from me. He doesnt like that i tell him what to do all the time but if I dont tell him what to do he doesnt know.
He complained how hot he was and went inside and put a pair of socks and a shirt on over his t shirt, he didnt understand when I was trying to tell him and then got annoyed with me telling me he could wear what he wants.
He complained how thirsty he was and that he needed something in his mouth, he went to the fridge and got out milk, I asked him not to drink it as we only just had enough left till we are at the shops tomorrow, he had no idea what else he could have "in his mouth" - water, squash, coke, lemonade, orange juice, cup of tea or coffee - plenty on offer but he would only have milk.
He walked in some dog poo that we had missed picking up in our garden, proceeded to walk all over the newly laid patio leaving poo prints as he went and could not understand to stand still and take his shoes off.
I am shattered by it.
Thankfully he is now sat watching TV and loves Coronation Street so will be happy that it is on tonight.
@BeeBeeDee - sounds exhausting. Hope you get to put your feet up whilst Coronation Street is on ☺️x

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Never think that what you say goes unread, too many years on here, wife then mum too.
Tough days are over for me now, we all post to help where we can, you're never alone on here. K

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England
OH at 8pm lying on the bed fully dressed, long sleeved polyester shirt fully buttoned up. Thick trousers, thick socks, fur lined slippers. Sun setting on partly open window, with thin curtains closed. Back windows all partly open, slight breeze. Has diabetes 1 and Parkinsons as well as moderately severe dementia. Always worse in extremes of heat and cold. Looks dreadful, feels very ill, just wants to be left alone, not accepting anything that might help. He was like this before dementia struck too. Luckily I'm in the spare room so he can have the isolation he craves

Alex2266

Apr 6, 2022
I am shattered by it.
I feel for you. I understand how you feel and what situation you are in. Almost three years ago, I allowed my father (whom I had seen a few times before) into my home. Since no one wanted to care for him because of his temperament and Alzheimer's disease, I took him. The first two years were horrible since he continued to call me his wife "and "his woman." He hated my husband and constantly flirted with me, even in my husband's presence. My father is in his 80s, and the age is taking a toll on him; he is walking slower and wants to be in his room often. That gives me a break to breathe and care for my needs. I usually read that his situation would worsen, so I need to be prepared. When he is up and walking on the patio or around the house, I am always on alert to avoid any issues like stepping on poo or falling. I always observe where and what he is doing. Eventually, I will find a place for him. It is tough to help people with this horrible disease, but sometimes we must. Indeed, they think that nothing is wrong with them. Hang in there...