Top up fees in WALES

Jools1402

Jan 13, 2024
Hi - My Mum (who is 97, has AZ and heart failure) is in a care home in Wales where the finances are a bit different to England. She has been there self funding for 15 months. I have POA for finances.
It has now come to the point where Mum is almost at the £50K threshold for the LA to start paying and I contacted them way back in January. They have made an assessment and have agreed that Mum needs residential care. They have agreed funding of £X amount per week which is unfortunately £300 short of the fees for Mums current home. Mum wants (needs actually) to stay where she is - my brothers and I can see the place is good for her. Adult services asked if we would be prepared to pay the top-up of £300 per week. I verbally agreed thinking this money would come out of Mum's £50K (what the hell else is she going to need this money for at her age?). I told the social worker that this would be the case and she didn't comment. I have been unable to speak to anyone in the finance department yet. It is only since reading around this forum that I realised there may be a problem with this.

So my query is- Is Wales the same as England where only a third party can pay the top up or can Mum pay this out of her own funds (facilitated by me) for herself?

It would seem very unfair for Mum to have to be moved to a cheap, possibly unsuitable care home, leave her friends and all that is familiar - perhaps miles away from family - when she will have £50K sitting doing nothing in the bank