TOP UP FEES & GUARANTOR CONTRACT

RallyAlly

Jun 12, 2018
My husband is being funded in Care Home by S/Services & 117 funding (+ FNC)
Fees have increased beyond what they can match, so I've said I would top up to keep him at the Home.
I've been asked to sign a Contract to confirm that, but also to be Guarantor. (Top up will come from his State Pension)
I'm concerned what I could actually be held liable for & whether I'll automatically have to contribute to the large rise expected in April.
(Wish I'd asked to have contract to Top Up S/S, not the Home!!)
Anyone else had experience of these legalities? (Because of delays in the process, I already owe backpaymnt to Jan 1st., which puts me under pressure.)

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
They (social services) have to find somewhere that can meet his needs, can they find somewhere to do that within their budget, if not they have to up their budget, how sad for them.
Human Rights Act guarantee him a right to family life so you don't have to take somewhere out of your area.
Playing patient poker is an ugly game, helps if you work with social services but sometimes you have to stand your ground, I threaten to walk away from the whole situation (which I never would have done) suddenly they couldn't do enough to help.
It shouldn't be this way, but often it seems it is, just call and raise as the poker term goes, it shouldn't be that way but...that's life, you're doing it for love, they're doing it for money.
My advise is don't sign an opened liability which is what this could turn out to be, agree to everything, sign nothing as my mum used to say. K

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I've been asked to sign a Contract to confirm that, but also to be Guarantor. (Top up will come from his State Pension)
I would not sign to be guarantor, especially for an unknown liability, nor would I sign any contract except as LPA or deputy on behalf of your husband who can pay first party top up because of s117 funding.
I'm concerned what I could actually be held liable for & whether I'll automatically have to contribute to the large rise expected in April.
not if you don't sign.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Story