Together again

Carolynlott

Jan 1, 2007
Newcastle upon Tyne
Yesterday my Mum’s identical twin sister died, three months to the day after my Mum died. This hideous disease took them on different journeys but they had similar endings. I should have known my aunt wouldn’t hang around long after Mum went – they had been inseparable in spirit for 85 years and were only really happy when they were together. I don’t know if my aunt was aware that Mum had died – I didn’t tell her because there was no point; someone may have done, or perhaps she just knew. It is all the more final now that my aunt has gone – while she was still alive it seemed a part of Mum was still here. There is no grief that they have gone, only that their lives ended in the manner they did. The grieving came a few years ago when they stopped being the loving, funny, bubbly, capable people I had known all my life - and became anxious shadows of their former selves, the disease driving them apart. Now they are together again and at peace and for that I am thankful.
C

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh Carolynn - how terribly sad. As you say, they are together again but this disease is so so cruel. Wishing you much strength and courage to deal with this. Take care. x

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
There is no grief that they have gone, only that their lives ended in the manner they did. The grieving came a few years ago when they stopped being the loving, funny, bubbly, capable people I had known all my life - and became anxious shadows of their former selves, the disease driving them apart. Now they are together again and at peace and for that I am thankful.

Dear Carol,
Your post is a lovely, loving tribute to two individuals who were close as close could be (apart from the dementia stint, which was right out of their control). I admire your honesty in saying the grieving is over, as I feel like this with my mother - I spent the first two months on the forum crying over every post I wrote and everything I read. Mum isn't the same person now, and she certainly would not like to know that it is dementia that is taking over her brain. I grieved for the person I am losing - and perhaps will find a measure of peace in her death. A life well lived, but certainly not enhanced by Alzheimers.

I am glad the two inseparable sisters are reunited. Sounds like the way things ought to be for them. And well done to you, you have obviously done a good job too.

May they be well together! All the best, BE

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I am sorry for your loss Carolyn but glad that your mum and her twin sister are together again. Please accept my sincere condolences.

I wish you peace and strength as you travel this part of your personal journey.

Love

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey