Toenails

Grable

May 19, 2015
OH has diabetes and Alzheimer's with Lewy Bodies. I'm concerned about his feet, principally because of the diabetes. Basically, he's decided that he's not going to cut his toenails - which are VERY long - until he's 'home'. He is, of course, home - we've never lived anywhere other than where we are now, but he doesn't believe that. In fact, it seems that in 'one of the other rooms' (?) a German welder has taken up residence.
How do I get a stubborn former RAF officer to cut his flipping toenails?!!!

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Don't the NHS do a free chiropody service for diabetics?
They used to I should know in my nursing days it was one of the clinics I least liked working, just as an assistant getting patients ready.
There is an issue with diabetes and chiropody, the only thing I took away from it is that other people's feet aren't for me. Please check. K

Grable

May 19, 2015
Ah yes, there used to be chiropody for diabetics. There also used to be an automatic foot check every six months. Both of these seem to be in the past now. I go with him to appointments and have done for two years. At no point in that time has he had his feet checked.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
These issues can be so hard to resolve @Grable. Would he respond if you were to tell him that all RAF officers have to keep their toe nails clipped.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I’m liking @SeaSwallow idea. Could you book in a podiatrist to come to the house ……and say that all RAF officers need short toe nails as they called for duty at any point…and will need to wear issued boots??? New dictat from whoever bosses around RAF officers…..

Mum hated having her nails done ….But was always on better behaviour for the podiatrist/ chiropodist

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England
OH has diabetes and Alzheimer's with Lewy Bodies. I'm concerned about his feet, principally because of the diabetes. Basically, he's decided that he's not going to cut his toenails - which are VERY long - until he's 'home'. He is, of course, home - we've never lived anywhere other than where we are now, but he doesn't believe that. In fact, it seems that in 'one of the other rooms' (?) a German welder has taken up residence.
How do I get a stubborn former RAF officer to cut his flipping toenails?!!!
There should be a podiatry service attached to the diabetic clinic at your local hospital. Ask for a referral. If your GP provides for your husband's diabetic care, see if the practice can refer you to a podiatrist. Or find a private mobile podiatrist locally for footcare for you both at home. Foot pampering session. ( We used to go to Shuropody, are waiting for podiatry referral, when I get the time I will make an appointment with a mobile service.} Just say it is for you, and your husband may want what you're getting! My husband loves the disposable footcare sock sachets from Poundland, Boots and the like. Worn overnight under socks, his feet are left clean and soft and can be wiped or washed clean of excess cream. My husband accidentally stabbed his big toe with toe clippers and just left it for a fortnight, has now accepted help to clean and cover it, and it's healing within two days. Foot pampering sessions DIY and/or podiatrist may be the way to go? Good luck

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Don't the NHS do a free chiropody service for diabetics?
They used to I should know in my nursing days it was one of the clinics I least liked working, just as an assistant getting patients ready.
There is an issue with diabetes and chiropody, the only thing I took away from it is that other people's feet aren't for me. Please check. K
Hi @Kevinl the NHS do podiatry appointments for diabetics . My oh isn't diabetic but has heart disease and was referred by our GP. The letter specifically said they don't cut toenails! To make private arrangements with a chiropodist.!

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England
Hi @Kevinl the NHS do podiatry appointments for diabetics . My oh isn't diabetic but has heart disease and was referred by our GP. The letter specifically said they don't cut toenails! To make private arrangements with a chiropodist.!
Private podiatrist will do a first long assessment visit and cut toenails. My mum had this

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
MY OH does not have diabetes, but does have peripheral neuropathy so he has no feeling in his feet and I was advised that it would be best to have a podiatrist to cut his toenails and check his feet over for things like cracked heels and skin tears. We have a private podiatrist who comes every 6 weeks, cuts his toenails and checks his feet over.

cymbid

Jan 3, 2024
mum in hospital needs her toenails doing . She has an ingrowing nail. Nurse spoke to me about it and said NHS podiatrists prioritise the diabetes patients. She thought i should get my own chiriopodist in. How do i do that when she is in a hospital ward. Surely he could not just rock up and with his little stool , Get her out of bed and start cutting her toenails. Hardly sanitary .

cymbid

Jan 3, 2024
After thinking about getting a chiropodist to attend in hospital. Hardly be a half hour appointment. Man would need to travel , find her , do the job then get back to his surgery . How many appointment times is that . Cost a fortune. Plus its usually a few weeks even to get an appointment. So...... I took in some big clippers , got mums foot on my lap on a pillow and clipped away as much as i could. She seemed happy and said it didnt hurt anymore. Result

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
You said on your other thread that your mum will be moving to a care home. I thought I would mention that most care homes have an arrangement with a local chiropodist to go in about once a month and they will do most of the residents feet/toenails. Because they do a lot all at once its not very expensive. Mum used to be charged £25

cymbid

Jan 3, 2024
You said on your other thread that your mum will be moving to a care home. I thought I would mention that most care homes have an arrangement with a local chiropodist to go in about once a month and they will do most of the residents feet/toenails. Because they do a lot all at once its not very expensive. Mum used to be charged £25
You are correct, We viewed a possible permanent home the other day. She mentioned the weekly visits of the chiropodist .

stopwatch48

Jun 18, 2022
Both of Us are entitled to Podietry treatment on the NHS, I have diabetes and my wife who has dementia suffers from severe problems with arteritis in her feet along with dementia. The podiatrists are great book the booking has become difficult with some clinics difficult for us to access due to our joint mobility problems. We use a local mobile podietrist but I have to tell my wife the treatment is free and under the NHS or she would refuse if she knew the cost.

SweetSioux

Jun 17, 2024
I trim my husband's toenails (and fingernails) right after his bathing (shower) ritual. He's grumpy as all get out getting him ready to shave and shower and during but afterwards he feels so good. (It's good to be clean!) After I help him dry off, I powder him which makes him feel so good then help him into clean underwear and t-shirt, then often times his pjs. I will then inspect his feet. About once a week or every two weeks I trim the toenails after inspecting. I trim his nails and use an emery board after to smooth. His fingernails are not very good but have improved with supplements, frequent grooming and a nail strengthener I apply. My husband is blind due to an aggressive form of glaucoma, has diabetes and dementia. He requires 24/7 care and I'm his sole caregiver. If you can make his footcare part of his shaving and bathing activities, you might have better luck with him. I realized my husband is more amenable after his shower, powder, dressing so I took advantage of that to trim his toenails. I use a happy cheerful voice and he gets with the program. If this doesn't work for you, I would suggest taking him to podiatrist for toenail and footcare on a regular routine basis.

SoniaR

May 25, 2024
I pay for a chiropodist to visit for me and OH who has vascular dementia. I’m disabled with osteoarthritis so I can’t cut his nails or mine anymore. She visits people at home and in care homes and she is lovely and does a great job. She wears a white uniform so looks official, maybe something like that could help? She cuts nails, removes hard skin, then moisturises. My OH loves it! Costs £40 each but we use our Attendance allowance and PIP to help pay for it. I was incorrectly diagnosed with diabetes a couple of years ago and went into the diabetes “system” for a while. In my area diabetics do get appointments with podiatrists, but the one at my clinic was horrid and acted so bored so I never went back! Asked around for recommendations and found my current chiropodist and haven’t looked back. I bet if you book someone to visit he will behave himself. They often do!

Andrea.

Jan 22, 2024
I love the idea about the RAF needing everyone to have trimmed toenails. Could you say the RAF has sent someone to check his feet and make sure they are okay (booking a private Footcare professional at home). I told Mum the NHS had sent someone around to check her feet but it was private (as mentioned NHS podiatry apparently don't cut nails, but being diabetic may be different. Let us know how you get on. 😊