Today I realise that I have changed

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I think I have changed because things are not bothering me like they were. This morning Alan said his shaver was no good. I asked him to show me what the problem was (all this with gestures). I handed him the shaver already turned on and he proceeded to shave the mirror!! I didn't even bat an eyelid but held his hand to his face and moved it over his face. At first he didn't know what was happening but eventually he got into his usual stride. I didn't even dwell on it but made a note to tell you all;)

I then decided that we'd have a day together without any of the sitters or clients so I cancelled the sitter. Alan watched a fishing dvd whilst I prepared lunch and then we went down to the river for a walk. It was lovely and Alan was chatty (in FTD language) and we both enjoyed it. Here are a few photos because I thought of you all whilst we were out.
river walk 11.11.09.jpg

river walk 2  11.11.09.jpg

river 11.11.09.jpg

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s so good to be able to take all the changes in your stride Helen.
It`s so strange. Alan can forget how to shave but still knows how to take a photo.
Your day sounds so laid back and relaxed. Lovely. :)

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Helen you look to have had a great day, ( like the new fleece)wish i had made time for more days like that whist trev was still able, it looks a lovely spot, it is strange how well Alan can sort the camera but not his razor, but you handled it like a good un, it certainley makes life easier to just let things go hope you have many more such days love to you both Pam

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
I think you reach a point where nothing surprises you any more..you learn to live with whatever changes occur.

I also think that TP helps in many ways to prepare us, as carers, for this.

You sound so positive today, Helen..the photos are lovely..and Alan and you look so relaxed and happy by the river...:)

Thankyou for thinking about us...:D

Love xx

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Lovely photos, Helen. You're in the right frame of mind to deal dementia now - taking things as they come, no fretting and just getting on with life.

Take care.

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Dear Helen - Brian's razor "wasn't working properly" one morning. It was clogged with pink F---dent, denture adhesive, which he'd taken for shaving gel ... The pictures are lovely, Helen, it all looks very peaceful and you and Alan so relaxed. Love, Nan XXX

zoet

Feb 28, 2008
Macclesfield, Cheshire
Helen, I know just how you feel. After I gave dad a bath yesterday, he sat in front of the mirror blowing raspberries at himself for TEN minutes!!!:eek: He wouldnt get dressed and wouldnt stop. "OK...I'll go and make a cup of tea" I said and left him to it! A year ago I would have put so much effort into making him get dressed and trying to persuade him to stop being silly. Now i just wait until he's ready without stressing about it at all. I think we learn to do this, and accept the situation in our own time, and when we do its so much easier to cope. Your post made me realise how much Ive changed too.xx

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Serenity

Sometimes ‘defeating the enemy’ is by accepting it and even embracing it?

Glad to hear you have found some peace ... and a lovely day together. :)

Karen, x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Helen I do admire your attitude and need to take a lesson from it re my mum rather than Bill. Your pics are lovely. G;ad you had a great day. Izzy x

donkey

Aug 16, 2009
sutton coldfield
helen, you both look so relaxed and what a handsome man allan is. i can relate to what you say because after 3 years of been fobbed off with its deppresion or anxiety losing his job etc etc i now feel quite at peace and take everything in my stride. i have learnt to be a better person with loads of patience:eek::confused: . it makes life so much easier for us all dont you think xx:D

PollyP.

Oct 8, 2009
Herefordshire UK
Thank you Helen

Dear Helen

Thank you for that - shaving the mirror was funny and just what I needed as I've just come back from taking my Mum for her first respite break and was feeling very upset.

The photos are lovely, thanks so much for sharing with us.
pauline
X

Last edited:

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Lovely pictures Helen and well done keeping calm this morning - can I have some lessons please......

Love

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
So Happy for you

Hello my good good friend, so happy you had a great day out and you both look brill in the pics, best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxx