To patch or not to patch?

almin

Oct 6, 2013
Surrey
Pat has been rediagnosed as having vascular dementia rather than AD.

She has been offered patches, When I asked the question "What is the best we can expect", was told
" A slight improvement in memory"

She came off aricept be cause of side effects and I understand that the patches CAN have similar.

Is it worth the risks for so little gain? My major concern at the moment is lack of appetite and am
reluctant to inflict more discomfort on her.

Almin

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I dont know anything about the patches but I think this is a difficult question for anyone to answer because it is so much down to opinion.

I can only tell you that the decisions we made for mum were to try absolutely anything to give her some more lucid time. I would not say that was right necessarily, it was just what we decided. I don't know if she suffered side effects, but if she did they weren't bad, it is simply the choice we made for mum. In her well days before AD, if there was a tablet for something mum would take it. We just carried on that way.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I too thought everything was worth a try so Mum had Aricept to start with (bad headaches so stopped), then Exelon patches. Unfortunately, they made her nauseous and sick so they too were stopped. I did feel guilty that I didn't persist with them but I didn't want to put her through any more discomfort.

Everyone reacts differently and some people don't get side effects. I thought the patches were meant to eliminate the possibility but that was not the case with my Mum. I would say at least give them a try and if it doesn't work out you'll know you did your best.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annieislaurie