Tips on bathroom hygiene

henhut

Hi.

I. Have thrown out toilet brush and toilet roll holder. Hubby has struggled with toilet paper (in bath or sink or floor) also thinks he is an Andrex puppy. Rolls of paper all over upstairs but he has started to put the toilet brush and toilet rolldown the loo. So they are soaked in poo.
Any ideas of cleaning the loo without the brush. Im not storing loo paper in bathroom anymore just leaving one in the place his mum used to leave toilet roll on the back of the cistern still cannot find it mind you but he insists it goes there.
During lockdown I did often think our wise? Political leaders should swap places with unpaid carers of people living with dementia then they may make changes to health and social welfare bill.

Jaded'n'faded

I have a fear of toilet brushes (the yuck factor) so I don't have one. I find liberal amounts of bleach do the job well - the thick stuff is cheap at Tesco (and elsewhere).

henhut

Thank you. I do use spray bleach for the seat and wipe off with loo paper. Don't why I didnt think of doing it under the rim

So plenty of bleach and disposable gloves.

Thanks.

henhut

Thank you. I do use spray bleach for the seat and wipe off with loo paper. Don't why I didnt think of doing it under the rim

So plenty of bleach and disposable gloves.

Thanks.

annielou

I use a duck disposable brush. Had one for years as I hated normal bristle style brushes. Its a plastic handle and stand with disposable paper brush heads that have cleaning fluid dried into paper. First off I bought the starter kit which has the handle and stand and a few brush heads in then there are packs of refill paper brush heads on sale for afterwards too. I get mine from supermarket but I've seen them in household shops too.
Use it like would a normal toilet brush, there is cleaning fluid on the paper heads already so you don't need to add a toilet cleaner liquid. Fix the paper head between opening on bottom of handle and slide lock switch to trap brush head in place. When paper hits water the cleaning fluid starts coming out and you can scrub toilet and when finished cleaning just release lock switch and drop paper brush head in loo to flush away. If end of handle is wet where its been in loo water you can just wipe it dry with bit of loo roll and throw that down loo too. Then just rest handle on plastic stand till next time.
Maybe you couLd wipe it dry and store in a cupboard

Last edited:

TNJJ

Hi.

I. Have thrown out toilet brush and toilet roll holder. Hubby has struggled with toilet paper (in bath or sink or floor) also thinks he is an Andrex puppy. Rolls of paper all over upstairs but he has started to put the toilet brush and toilet rolldown the loo. So they are soaked in poo.
Any ideas of cleaning the loo without the brush. Im not storing loo paper in bathroom anymore just leaving one in the place his mum used to leave toilet roll on the back of the cistern still cannot find it mind you but he insists it goes there.
During lockdown I did often think our wise? Political leaders should swap places with unpaid carers of people living with dementia then they may make changes to health and social welfare bill.
I have a “duck “ toilet brush in my bathroom. I hate toilet brushes. You can buy the “duck squares which you clean the toilet with and then flush away.

Laura40

Sorry but this is such a funny thread! I have similar issues currently I’m definitely not minimising the stress this all causes but it’s just refreshing to see all the positive and practical matter of fact responses to it all. Hiding the toilet roll......
My OH currently just drops everything wherever, this includes loo roll, tea towels, clothes etc. I’m constantly collecting things he touches and depositing them all in either the bin, down the toilet or in the washing machine.. like everybody else on here coronavirus has made no difference to life in our household, spraying disinfectant on door handles, etc think that was very much the norm already!

henhut

It does have a funny side too it. Not so though when you need loo yourself and have to retieve several objects in a dirty loo before you can go.
And yes towels down the loo too.

Bezzy1946

It does have a funny side too it. Not so though when you need loo yourself and have to retieve several objects in a dirty loo before you can go.
And yes towels down the loo too.
It makes me giggle reading this thread about various toilet habits. My husband used to use so much toilet roll. He would sit for an hour or so just pulling off toilet paper. We used to get through two toilet rolls a day. Cardboard from toilet rolls used to go down the loo and pull up pants that he used to wear. One day I caught him washing a pair and there was gel beads from the pants all over the bathroom I can laugh now but not at the time. He is in care home now and I miss terribly even with his funny ways xxx

Lynmax

Ah, I remember the copious use of toilet paper, not only was soiled paper deposited around the house but clean paper was used to wrap up all sorts of precious things - like half eaten food, keys, money, cutlery, tv remotes etc. Mum developed these habits just as the panic buying of toilet paper began so I spent hours begging shopkeepers to let me have a roll! I ended up giving her most of my stock and buying kitchen towel as my replacements.

Sadly, mum was admitted to hospital right at the start of the lockdown and is now in a care home so thankfully my toilet paper hunting missions came to an end!

I am a fan of the Toilet Duck brush, much more hygienic in my opinion than traditional brushes.

spandit

I've learnt to hide stuff - was keeping a mop and bucket in his bathroom but realised the mop had been down the toilet and he'd been using it to basically spread urine over the whole floor. He still won't ask for help - getting to the point where we're not going to be able to cope.