1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Tip: Using the asterisk in searches

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by Sandy, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Sandy

Sandy Registered User

Mar 23, 2005
    The asterisk character * can be used when searching as a 'wild card'.

A wild card tells the search engine to count any combination of characters which appear where the * appears as a match.

This came to light recently when looking for the best way to search for a type of dementia called frontotemporal dementia.

People use a few different terms when referring to this type of dementia, some people use frontal temporal dementia or even the abbreviation FTD

If I searched for front* I would get a match for both frontal and frontotemporal. I would also get matches for other words that start with front, like frontier and front.

The other use of the asterisk is to get around the current limitation of the search engine when it comes to short words or abbreviations.

Putting FTD into the search will return no results, but FTD* will work.

2. Vonny

Vonny Registered User

Feb 3, 2009
    Telford
    Thanks Sandy, a very useful bit of info because I had trouble with the search. No longer, hopefully :)

Vx

3. Helen33

Helen33 Registered User

Jul 20, 2008
    Morning Sandy

Brilliant - you're a star:D

4. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Hello Sandy

Can you repeat instuctions fro a `screen shot` here please. Perhaps you could change the title to Sandy`s Tips.