Time.....

Little Circles

Mar 30, 2017
Derbyshire
I have been told it is more than likely Alzheimer's my Mum has but need to see a Neurologist to confirm diagnosis, we have an appointment coming up shortly

As well as memory issues and unsteadiness in getting around she seems totally obsessed with time, when we get an appointment she will ask all week when she is going and then plucks a date and time out of thin air and is tunnel vision on that time until you say differently or rings up 10 times to speak to the hairdressers about her weekly appointment which is at the same time to ask when her appointment is, so much so my dad and I have had to try and stop her using the phone as she rings random people to ask them questions over again, one of her friends who is going through chemotherapy has asked my Dad to encourage my Mum not to ring as she is very insensitive about her treatment and talks about her appointments all the time etc
She rings me over and over again to ask about time of appointments - there aren't very many appointments to be fair but you would think she was going out to different places daily

She wants to go out by herself but she is not safe so if Dad and I don't take her out she doesn't go and she is so aggressive about us
We are keeping her captive!!!

She seems obsessed with what clothes she has to wear. It wears the same clothes all the time and says she ha nothing to wear when he has loads but she wants me to lay clothes out for her for going out but has nowhere to go and then asks what time she is going out
She will plan for going out for weeks in advance but never knows where she is going or when.

Dad and I try and take her out but she then says she hasn't got time to go anywhere
I have made visual calendars for appointments and hair appointments but she crosses them out as they are all wrong she says, which they aren't.

Is this time obsession a symptom of Alzheimer's and the aggression if things are not what she thinks or wants ?

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
It is so frustrating! My Mum is exactly the same. She was diagnosed 7 years ago and her constant depiction and anxiety about dates/times etc have me pulling out my hair! On a bad day I'm afraid I snap and just say ' you don't have to remember I remember it for you!' But then again I think in her more lucid moments Mum is trying to 'reboot' her brain and the most natural thing to do if you can't remember something is to ask someone. It's not the actual asking it's the repition that irritates. No answers I'm afraid just sharing experience, deal with it the best way you can and with time you will develop your pattern of coping. X

Little Circles

Mar 30, 2017
Derbyshire
Yes it is the repetition that I am finding it difficult to manage and. how to react to the same questions
Thanks for the reply
Mum lives with Dad and he seems to cope with it more and as he is 79 so it takes a toil on him more so than me

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
It really is difficult to cope with constant repetition, and I feel for you both! From your mums' point of view, of course, they are asking the questions for the same reason any of us would ask a question - because they don't know the answer. They may have already asked the question ten times, but they don't know that, and don't know that you've answered ten times. Far as they're concerned, this is the first and only time they are asking!

It's very hard to keep patience with it, and not feel like you are going mad. All you can do is not tell them about appointments until shortly before. Otherwise, it's too stressful for everyone.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carol Diane