Time to write a book 📖

Anne C

Jul 12, 2024
Hello my name is Anne, I've been caring for Mum who past away in April age 91 and Dad John who is 95 just over four years now. Mum came out of hospital two days before the first lock down, with end of life care. But we're fighter's in our family and no Doctor was going to tell my Mum when she was going to die, with Stage four heart failure😉
That time with mum over the next four years was a real eye opener to how the care system worked or not as the case maybe. Last September Dad had a manic episode and was taken into hospital, where he was diagnosed with dementia and carer stress. I had to give up part time work to be hands on. Thank goodness I had worked, as a care worker in the community for the last eighteen years. This gave me a real insight from both sides of the coin. I immediately realised what stress Dad John had been under, with having care workers in three time's a day, constantly asking questions, not following Mum's care plan, leaving early from visits, so they could make up time to there next visit, as they didn't have travel time. We installed camera's through the bungalow, while maintaining dignity. And informed the care agency.
I spent alot of time with Mum and Dad over the next months. Gradually Dad's dementia worsened and Mum deteriorated quite dramatically. I was now doing all of Dad's personal care, as we hadn't got a package of care at the time. Mainly due to the poor care Mum was receiving. I would report the 12 minute calls, soiled commode's, Mum's skin integrity etc, to the care agency on a regular basis. Then as previously had happened, the phone call to say the care agency was handing back the package of care, due to not being able to meet Mum's needs.
Sometimes it just is too much to deal with 😥
Unfortunately as I now know,care agencies don't like criticism or anyone that actually cares for their loved ones. They would love it if you just keeped quiet and didn't rock the boat.

Now I had a new care agency to deal with and both parents to care for. I landed up doing Dad's care for four months, before a package of care was in place. Mum's new care agency took over Dad's personal after Mum had her care in the morning.
This situation also has challenges, due to the fact Mum had 53 different care workers in the first two months. Dad found the lack of continuity extremely difficult to deal with! The care staff wouldn't know what was happening, as they didn't have any experience with Dad. It was chaos!!
After Mum past away, Dad was taken off some of his medication including the one he was talking for dementia, due to his irregular heart beat. He was told he would need a pacemaker urgently, we are still waiting.
Recently there has been a marked improvement with Dad, amazingly, he's happy ,enjoys going out and about ,he's retaining more information. One reason for this I believe is the eventual consistent care worker. Who gets on with the job, understands Dad's needs, spends the time. If she has a few minutes at the end of the visit actually sits and has a chat 🥳
Unfortunately she has to have days off then the problems start. Key safe left open, front door left unlocked at night, medication not put away in the medication safe, spending 14 minutes or less at a 30 minute visit, when tasks are not completed. The list goes on.
Report this to the care agency and Bob's your uncle, Dad's care has been handed back to the council. Does this nightmare ever end ?

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Anne C welcome to Dementia Support Forum. Thank you for taking the time to describe your situation. I am sure that many members of our community can relate to what you have said. You'll find a lot of empathy, understanding and common sense here. Ask questions, join conversations or come here to let off steam. We will do our best to offer you help and support whenever you need it.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeandLyla