Time for a care home - but how is it done?

Kath610

Apr 6, 2022
Maldon, Essex
My husband has Alzheimer’s and is rapidly deteriorating. This evening he became angry following embarrassment at forgetting where I was when I left him and our 2 year old grandson ( who was fast asleep) in the car while I collected the older grandson from school - something we have done before. When I got back to the car after no more than 10 minutes, he was standing outside it, desperately looking for me with no memory of where I had gone.
This turned into anger and he set off to walk home - a route of about 3 miles which he has done many times before. I couldn’t leave the children but notified my son who comes home from work via the same route. He didn’t see my husband at all and the tracker only recorded the school car park from an hour before.
I set off on a different route and found my husband walking along in the pitch dark, wearing a dark coat on a road with no pavement. He got into the car very reluctantly, insisting he knew where he was - he didn’t.
This is the latest incident in a steady decline - the saga includes very insanitary behaviour with the toilet and faeces; not showering but running the shower, pulling up his sleeves and shaving his forearms; wearing the same clothes day and night and resisting any change; total incoherence all the time; poor table manners, which has never been the case before, chopping food up and mashing it together; frequent angry outbursts which are better controlled by a change to Memantine. And everything is my fault - whatever happens is a result of me upsetting him.
I have lived like this for long enough - how is someone admitted to a care home? Either for respite or on a permanent basis? How bad does the person have to be? How do I start the process?
I would really appreciate advice from people who have been in this situation

Last edited:

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Kath610 I am so sorry to read about the difficulties you are having, they sound very distressing for both you and your husband.
If your husband would be self funding (has assets of over £23,250) you could arrange for respite leading to permanent placement yourself.
However if you would need funding through the local authority, you would need to contact social services to arrange an assessment of needs, but please be aware that SS quite often insist of four carer visits per day before considering residential care. When discussing your needs with SS please let them know that you feel that you are reaching carer breakdown and also that because your husband has wandered off that he would be an adult at risk of harm.
I hope that this has helped a little and I am sure that others will come along with more advice.

Kath610

Apr 6, 2022
Maldon, Essex
Hello @Kath610 I am so sorry to read about the difficulties you are having, they sound very distressing for both you and your husband.
If your husband would be self funding (has assets of over £23,250) you could arrange for respite leading to permanent placement yourself.
However if you would need funding through the local authority, you would need to contact social services to arrange an assessment of needs, but please be aware that SS quite often insist of four carer visits per day before considering residential care. When discussing your needs with SS please let them know that you feel that you are reaching carer breakdown and also that because your husband has wandered off that he would be an adult at risk of harm.
I hope that this has helped a little and I am sure that others will come along with more advice.
Thank you @SeaSwallow - could you clarify about the £23,250? Is that based on our total joint money (in all our accounts - we have one joint, he has one of his own, I have two) or half the total?

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Thank you @SeaSwallow - could you clarify about the £23,250? Is that based on our total joint money (in all our accounts - we have one joint, he has one of his own, I have two) or half the total?
It would only be your husband's assets, if you have a joint account half would be considered as being your husbands. It is best if you can to separate the joint account.

Remotecarer

Oct 25, 2023
Ask your GP to refer you to the Community Psychiatric Nurse. I can only speak for my Mum's area but they have been brilliant, are plugged in to all of the services and I'm sure will be able to point you in the right direction.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee

Kath610

Apr 6, 2022
Maldon, Essex
You might find something helpful here @Kath610 -

Thank you @Izzy - I will look through it.