TIA's

Noreen

Apr 4, 2009
Northern Ireland
I know there are different types of dementia, but I am unsure as to whether people with Alzheimers can experience TIA's, and the signs to watch out for. Can anyone advise please. Many thanks in anticipation.

gill@anchorage5

Apr 29, 2007
Southampton
Hello Noreen

Yes people with dementia do suffer from TIA's. I don't know as much as I should about them, but no doubt you will get further more knowledgeable replies on the subject.

Dad had a few "suspected TIA's" a couple of years ago. They said "suspected" because without doing a scan they couldn't be 100% sure.

He was in the assessment ward at the time, so we haven't actually witnessed any, but these "incidents" led to him falling (he was more mobile then) - a bit like a "faint" from the description of events....

If it's any consolation - he made a full recovery from them. The only difference being that he still dribbles a little from the right side of his mouth, and tends to use his left hand more (when he was always right-handed.)

When I asked what we should do if he experiences this at home, was if possible to lie him down and raise his feet.

Hope this helps

Love

Gill x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi Noreen and welcome to Talking Point.

I suppose it's fair to say that if you are alive you can have TIAs. Actually quite a few people end up with a mixed diagnosis (part AD and part vascular). As to signs to watch out for this http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/downloads/Understanding_Vascular_Dementia.pdf might be helpful.

The other thing that can happen is seizures. Although it's a very general statement you might describe seizures as active while TIA's are passive - that is seizures often (but not always) present with shaking and rigidity, while TIA's can look more like a faint or a "spacing out". Of course, there are always exceptions.

You should really consult your consultant or GP if you are concerned.

Noreen

Apr 4, 2009
Northern Ireland
Many thanks for your help, mummy is in the end stages of AD, a very delicate image of her former self, so it is very hard to distinguish changes, but today her face was so noticeably different, one of her eyes almost looked artificial and drooping, very spaced out and not as responsive. It lasted about 10 or 15 mins. She has been more unsteady recently and more sleepy than normal. It is such a relief to be able to get advice, should of looked for you all sooner. Many, many thanks

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Noreen - the lopsided aspect of what you describe does sound like a TIA. WIth the possible exception of giving an asprin as the start of something like this (and please, talk to the GP before doing this) there's not a lot you can do.

Now you've found us, don't be a stranger, OK?

Take care

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Noreen

I'm 57 and I had a TIA in November. Transient Ischaemic Attack to give it it's full title. Apparently very common in anyone over 50, I have found loads of people who have had such an attack. Of course, it is not good news, as it shows that something is furring up in your arteries, but realistically so are the arteries of anyone over 50, but they do not necessarily have a TIA.

I was sitting at my computer, perhaps replying to AD posts, and my eyes went funny. At first I thought the computer screen had gone blurred, so I looked away, and the room looked funny too. I felt a bit sick and dizzy, so I left the computer and walked into the breakfast room where hubby was watching tv. I said "I feel funny", and as usual he took no notice. I sat down, and realised that my left hand had gone numb. I then noticed that my lips felt numb and then, a few minutes later, my forehead felt strange, like a weight was attached to it. We phoned the surgery, I went down to the after-hours clinic, and I knew it wasn't right. I couldn't walk properly, I was wobbly. I had to hang on to hubby. Anyway, was admitted to hospital and had a CT scan which showed nothing. Discharged the following day feeling much better but very weak. That went within a few days. The numbness in the left hand has more or less gone now, 4 months on.

Have since had an MRI scan and it shows a "clear lesion" in the right frontal lobe, and various other irregulaties indicating shortage of oxygen. I queried this with the consultant and his response was that 90% of the population of my age have the same brain pattern and don't even know it. He said not to worry, but send me away with a package of drugs designed to prevent further attacks, including aspirin.

Well, of course it is a worry that I could do without. I am feeling fine. Have increased my fruit and veg intake, and taken more exercise, sadly not given up smoking.

A TIA is a sort of warning that deterioration has occurred in the brain. It could herald a much worse attack in the near future (I am told that 25% of TIA victims experience a major attack within six weeks), but the rest can go on to have no further problems. Fingers crossed that applies to me.

The standard initial treatment for a TIA (which is a Stroke)is a large dose of Aspirin. So large that you could not give it yourself, it would have to be a hospital job, given under supervision. But it should be given swiftly, so if you think your mum suffered a TIA or similar, emergency medical care is needed. I didn't have any drooping, but that is a common symoptom of a TIA attack, as is blurred speech (I did garble a little). Another likely symptom is the sudden emptying of the bowel. Any of these symptoms need urgent medical treatment.

Seems that your mum could have had a TIA, but she has worked through it. I also needed a mega shot of vitamins for some reason. Might be worth you talking to the GP about this.

Hope your mum is okay now.

Love

Margaret

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Hi Noreen,

My mum (late stage) has had TIAs before now, and seizures as Jennifer states can happen. The last time she had a TIA (we think) the doctor referred her for another scan but they didn't bother doing it as mum's previous scan was so dreadful they said it didn't matter whether it was a TIA or just further shrinkage of the brain, the results were the same, ie she's too far down the road for help. Unfortnately dad had taken her to hospital and acquiesced as usual. Next time I'll go myself and make darned sure she is dealt with properly.

The doctor needs to see your mum urgently I would say, and if you meet with the same resistance I'd insist on it.

(NB Margaret, thanks for that warning, I used to eat 10 portions of fruit and veg and go to the gym, now it's pizzas all the way and I can't give up the vile weed either. Think I need to review my lifestyle!)

Let us know how you get on Noreen, and all the best

Vonny xx

Noreen

Apr 4, 2009
Northern Ireland
Many thanks to everyone for their advice and help, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I guess mummy has been having these, but we have never actually witnessed one until yesterday. Thankfully she has reached the stage were she is in a more contented place within her AD, never complaining and happy, most of her aggitation has left her, but as you know it is extremely hard when you feel totally helpless and unable to really know what is going on.

Again many, many thanks.

Noreen