THIS WEEK: Dementia Action Week 2018

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
upload_2018-5-21_17-39-38.png

What is Dementia Action Week?

Dementia Action Week (previously known as Dementia Awareness Week) is Alzheimer’s Society’s annual awareness raising campaign.

During this week, we’ll be asking everyone across the UK to unite with us and take actions - large and small - that will make everyday life better for people affected by dementia. This could be anything from taking the time to reach out to someone with dementia for a chat, or rallying your local community to clean up a park to make it more dementia-friendly. Every action makes a difference.

The 7 actions

We asked hundreds of people with dementia and their carers what actions they would like the general public to take to help improve their everyday lives. Seven key actions stuck out as the most commonly desired by people with dementia and their carers.

They are:

1. Talk to me

Don't be worried about talking to me. I'm still me.

2. Listen to me

Take time to listen and involve me in the conversation. I can still teach you a thing or two.

3. Include me

Keep on inviting me out. Friends still mean the world to me.

4. Ask if I need help

If I seem confused, ask if I need help. These little things help me stay independent.

5. Be patient

Be patient with me and I'll show you how I can still do things. It just might take me longer than it used to.

6. Ask me about my dementia

Don't be afraid to ask me questions. When you take the time to understand my dementia, I know there's someone on my side.

7. Help my carer too

Support my partner and others who care for me. My dementia affects them too.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
No 6. Will only work if the person acknowledges their dementia and is happy to talk about it. There are such people out there, but I would have thought the majority of PWDs do not acknowledge it or want to talk about it so I find that advice a bit too generalised. I think "Smile at me and use compassionate communication" might have been more appropriate.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Thanks @Beate for your feedback. You make a really important point in that while no. 6 may be true for some people with dementia, this isn't necessarily the case for everyone living with a diagnosis. The suggestions above are general principles, and would need to be adapted depending on the person. Also, the first two actions which are 'listen to me' and 'talk to me' are about considering an individual's needs and what is appropriate for them. I hope this helps to clarify things.