Think I've been fobbed off!!!

Sammyj

Dec 15, 2014
Manchester
Hi all

After ur messages and mindful advice I'm my last post I spoke to mums consultant today who has referred her to their occupational therapy department to assess mums household needs regarding cooking for herself (which she doesn't do despite telling me she has) and also with regards to cleaning etc! But As this could take some time he asked me to phone social services to come and assess her also and "get the ball rolling with them"

I rang the number he gave me which was Manchester social services spoke to the guy explaining all the Dr had said and that he had asked me to ring them to assess my mum! He told me that they do not help with peoples home care needs regarding cooking/cleaning etc and that I should claim attendance allowance to pay for someone to do that!

Is this correct?? I'm worried that when I go back to work (I'm off sick at the mo) that mum won't get a proper meal till I go at night time! She won't cook for herself and just eats cakes and biscuits! Or won't have anything at all!

Does anyone have any advice on this? I can't afford to pay someone and mum has no savings!

I'd be really grateful for any advice??

Lancashirelady

Oct 7, 2014
Hi all

After ur messages and mindful advice I'm my last post I spoke to mums consultant today who has referred her to their occupational therapy department to assess mums household needs regarding cooking for herself (which she doesn't do despite telling me she has) and also with regards to cleaning etc! But As this could take some time he asked me to phone social services to come and assess her also and "get the ball rolling with them"

I rang the number he gave me which was Manchester social services spoke to the guy explaining all the Dr had said and that he had asked me to ring them to assess my mum! He told me that they do not help with peoples home care needs regarding cooking/cleaning etc and that I should claim attendance allowance to pay for someone to do that!

Is this correct?? I'm worried that when I go back to work (I'm off sick at the mo) that mum won't get a proper meal till I go at night time! She won't cook for herself and just eats cakes and biscuits! Or won't have anything at all!

Does anyone have any advice on this? I can't afford to pay someone and mum has no savings!

In my experience carers won't do cleaning but providing a meal is certainly part of the package, even if it's just warming something in the microwave. Not that it makes much difference to my Mum, who regularly refuses something hot for tea and insists she's been out for lunch with various people when in fact she's had half a packet of biscuits and a cream bun! The good carers will simply make her something and sit down with her while she eats it, which usually works. So yes, you're being fobbed off to some extent. SS always have one eye on the budget so whatever they can avoid taking responsibility for they will. Insist on them coming to do an assessment. if nothing else they should refer you to meals on wheels. Good luck!

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hi Sammy,

If your Mum requires frequent help or constant supervision during the day or night then you can complete the forms for attendance allowance. This would be the lower rate of £54.45 per week. The higher rate of £81.30 would be paid if supervision was required both day and night.

The allowance would be paid direct to your Mother for her to use to help pay for help and could make other benefits available to her.

Ring the SS again and ask for a care assessment for your Mum and if you are her main carer, an assessment for yourself. These assessments are for them to determine what care your Mother requires and what help you might need to help you in your caring role. They should then help you with advice as to what there is out there to help you. There is no excuse for the way he spoke to you, he should be helping not hindering you sorting out help for your Mum.

There is a carers allowance of approx. £61 per week but this is only paid if you are on a weekly wage of around £100 per week or less and you care for at least 35 hours a week.

If your Mum has a diagnosis of dementia and she lives alone she will qualify for council tax exemption or a reduction if someone lives with her. To get this exemption your Mum will need to be in possession of a benefit.

I hope I have my facts right but if not someone will be along to correct me I hope.

Jay

Last edited:

Sammyj

Dec 15, 2014
Manchester
Aww thank you all! I had a feeling he was talking rubbish! I'll give them another ring tomorrow and hopefully get somewhere! I don't mind doing her cleaning etc but I just want to make sure she's had something to eat before I get to hers at 8pm after work!

She does live independently and doesn't need constant care yet just someone to remind her to eat a meal rather than living on tea and biscuits!

As she's newly diagnosed it's all new to me regarding benefits etc.. Mum sorted out all of that when my Nan had dementia as she was nans main carer! Didn't think 3 years later I'd be doing it for mum... Hope I'm going to be able to cope with her as well as she did my nan! She was amazing and never once complained despite all the sleepless nights, incontinence etc... Fingers crossed xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
The chap you spoke to is broadly correct: few LAs now provide "home helps". And yes, this is what AA is for - to allow you to get someone in to do that sort of thing.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Would she agree to go to a day care centre? She would get a hot meal as well as social interaction. There are also sitting services that can provide company for her. They will however not provide meals or give medication etc, you would need to have carers coming in a few times a day. So you need to know what's available in your borough and get an assessment for both her and you to see what help can be provided. However, no borough will get you a cleaner as part of the deal and it's correct that if you wanted to employ one, Attendance Allowance could be used to pay for it.

Not so Rosy

Nov 30, 2013
In 2013 Dad had a wonderful Social Worker and she decided the Care Agency was getting away with murder. They were in and out in a flash and not working their contracted hours if say for example Dad didn't want a shower.

SW wrote into Dads contract that his kitchen and bathroom needed the once over every day, also his rubbish emptied daily, fridge checked for sell by dates and washing machine filling.

One day a week an extra 1 1/2 hours was for general house cleaning and bed changing. I think it's all down to what the SW insists on being done.

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Hi all

Hi sammy j

The first thing that needs to be done is ask for assessment of care needs after a diagnosis..even if for the future...the social worker would then tell you what help they can sort or cant!..this is important for you also as a carer needs an assessment too!...this is relevant as there are things to help you..like emergency card if you go ill or hospitalised..it tells them your a carer and your loved one will need support...cheap things like discount on health wellbeing leisure..and it recognises you as a carer.....if they offer help or you think its needed stick to your guns....if theyre in crisis or budget problems...tough thats not your problem..make sure you get all benefits applicable...for you both!...good luck..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lynne askew